Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wayland Engineering Team At Intel

Phoronix: The Wayland Engineering Team At Intel

With Intel effectively dropping MeeGo and is investing in the Tizen project instead, many have likely been wondering what's happening with Intel's Wayland situation. After all, Intel had planned to use Wayland on MeeGo Tablet UX this calendar year and they have several developers devoted to this free software project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tizen? Dude, that was so 10 minutes ago.
    Intel is now focusing on ANDROID now...

Collaboration will produce phones using Atom and successor chips as Intel tries to break into smartphone market. By Charles Arthur and agencies

Intel is awaiting the arrival of Google's Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich mobile operating system before the first smartphone running the new mobile OS and Intel's Atom x86 architecture gets released sometime in the first half of 2012.

Comment

Why is Intel changing OSes like socks? Intel needs a strong person to lead its phone/tablet OS development. So far looks like all leaders at Intel working on a new OS have been plain cowards - something happened and Intel again pissed its pants and switched to another OS once again. MeeGo was just fine. Just finish it and work with companies to adopt it. Also, Atom sucks for tablets/phones cause it's still x86, make a new chip/arch, drop the NIH and create something that really suits tablets and phones. It's a midterm investment worth the effort.

Comment

Yeah, I think Intel has now changed mobile OSes more than Duke Nukem Forever changed engines.

They should be a leader, but they look like a follower constantly playing catch-up.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Why is Intel changing OSes like socks? Intel needs a strong person to lead its phone/tablet OS development. So far looks like all leaders at Intel working on a new OS have been plain cowards - something happened and Intel again pissed its pants and switched to another OS once again. MeeGo was just fine. Just finish it and work with companies to adopt it. Also, Atom sucks for tablets/phones cause it's still x86, make a new chip/arch, drop the NIH and create something that really suits tablets and phones. It's a midterm investment worth the effort.
          I don't think you can do much without building HW yourself or having a strong relationship with a manufacturer or two. Nokia almost managed to get some success with Meego (Nokia N9 seems like a competitive product) but they decided to go full on MS stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            I don't think you can do much without building HW yourself or having a strong relationship with a manufacturer or two. Nokia almost managed to get some success with Meego (Nokia N9 seems like a competitive product) but they decided to go full on MS stuff.
            There's no such thing as strong relationship, it was proven multiple times: Microsoft betrayed IBM in the 90's and won the OS wars, Nokia dropped MeeGo in favor of M$. Intel "betrayed" M$ a long time ago and started working around Linux despite the Wintel metaphor and many more examples of "strong relationship" with hw manufacturers and/or corporations breaking apart.
            In other words, if you put enough money, confidence and effort - companies and hw manufacturers will likely join you, especially if you also scratch their itch (like Android has). If you're unsure about what you're doing and you're ready to drop a serious project if someone else drops it then you're not a strong corporation - you're an opportunistic corporation - that's what Intel looks like now, despite having enough money, R&D expertise and staff to act like a corporation that can lead.
            Hence, I repeat, Intel should stop acting like a coward.
            Last edited by cl333r; 09 November 2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I'm not completely sure but I think Intel's plan is to eventually build SOCs that work on all platforms, so OEMS buy them in bulk to fit in all of their products!

Comment

You pretty much summed up many of my thoughts.

Atom is a long way from a tablet CPU. Maybe at 22nm but even then I suspect that ARM will out perform it on a 28 or 32nm node. As you note the NiH syndrome is in full force, Atom simply supports to much legacy functionality to be worthwhile.

Absolute performance though isn't the big issue with Intel and Atom. Rather what sort of idiots would go with HTML5 as the SDK on a Linux platform. It is absurd and certainly doesn't take into account all the failures out there. Both Apple and Android have proven that you really need a more substantial SDK than HTML to compete.

I don't want to advocate corporations giving up on Linux but it is pretty clear that nobody at Intel has much of a vision when it comes to OS's. Maybe that is why we hear about the rumors Intel will pick up WebOS. Frankly though I suspect they would screw that up in a few months also.

Comment

Don't lose hope, while HTML is "teh sdk", we're also hearing Qt and EFL will have official support. I'm guessing gtk will ship on most devices too.

In no way should Tizen be limited to html.

Comment

Working...
                  X