Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What FreeBSD Achieved In Q3'2011

Phoronix: What FreeBSD Achieved In Q3'2011

Here's a look at what the FreeBSD project managed to achieve during the third quarter, from July through September. There's a few noteworthy items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

zrouter?!?

Instead of putting more focus into projects like openwrt, FreeBSD seems to suffer from the 'not invented here' syndrome. I understand that it's most likly due to licensing, BSD folks don't like the GPL, just like GPL folk don't like the BSD license I guess.

Wanting to have the bsd kernel running on a router instead of the linux kernel, I can get. But developing an entire platform ... just smells like like a lot of duplication of work imo.

In any case, I guess it'll be nice it would be nice to have a BSD based router firmware for common routers

P.S. The reason why i'm 'ranting' about this, is more about 'don't they need those developer resources elsewhere?' like thoughts.

Comment

Those people are volunteers, you cannot "shuffle" them to some other project. So there's no wastage of resources - there's perhaps lack of resources in some areas.

And also, world at large needs to be redundant. "Duplication of work" is actually a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
        Instead of putting more focus into projects like openwrt, FreeBSD seems to suffer from the 'not invented here' syndrome. I understand that it's most likly due to licensing, BSD folks don't like the GPL, just like GPL folk don't like the BSD license I guess.
        Actually they suffer from "We don't want to get sued by the SFLC for using a broadcom radio with busybox" syndrome.

Comment

I am looking forward to the new router setup, pfsense and monowall already destroy others in their class, in my opinion anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by RCL_ View Post
            Those people are volunteers, you cannot "shuffle" them to some other project.
            Does it matter if the Keystone Cops were volunteers or paid employees?

Comment

Working...
            X