Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Releases Fedora 16 "Verne"

Phoronix: Red Hat Releases Fedora 16 "Verne"

Red Hat and the Fedora Project community this morning have officially announced the release of Fedora 16. This release, which is codenamed "Verne", offers up a significant number of original improvements in the Linux desktop and server space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Btw I have a gtx 560 Ti and Fedora 16 works with it with open source drivers and 3d is enabled (the gnome shell works fine). I'm surprised since I thought mesa/nouveau don't support 3d stuff on these cards yet.

Comment

I'd love to give Fedora a ride... but my guinea pig "only" has 512MB of RAM.
      With release 15 I gave up on the text-based install fast: no way to customize the partitioning scheme, and I couldn't get it to launch (XFCE LiveCD).
      I suppose I'm not their target audience.

Comment

I been using Fedora 16 beta for a while, I'm currently downloading Fedora 16 final release but two things that kinda make me sad are that in Fedora 15 brightness keys where working just fine, in Fedora 16 if I keep the increase brightness pressed the whole system freezes for a second and then stays at full brightness all the sudden (it is definitively usable but it was flawless in Fedora 15 and now it isn't), also with Fedora 15 if enabled in the gnome mouse settings tapping with my touchpad I would get right click with two finger tap out of the box and also I could activate and deactivate two finger scrolling (which seems broken in Fedora 16). I'm just hoping that these things get fixed when I install the final release but with Fedora 15 these things where working even in beta phase :/

Comment

@josian_220 When you found the issue in Fedora 16 beta, did you file a bug report in bugzilla? That would have been helpful but maybe it did get fixed nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            @josian_220 When you found the issue in Fedora 16 beta, did you file a bug report in bugzilla? That would have been helpful but maybe it did get fixed nevertheless.
            Unfortunately it didn't either way yeah it was defenetively stupid from me not reporting this issue as soon as I experienced it, anyway my issue is now reported I hope it gets fixed :/
            Last edited by josian_220; 08 November 2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

It would be nice to have a boot time comparison between Fedora and Ubuntu. Now that systemd is fully deployed. I`m very curious about systemd performance.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                With release 15 I gave up on the text-based install fast: no way to customize the partitioning scheme, and I couldn't get it to launch (XFCE LiveCD).
                You may try partitioning the disk before launching the xfce livecd and making a swap partition large enough. Once I tried and it worked. But anyway, yes, for my tastes they are still too much demanding on resources.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  you can't use the text installer from live boot, no, it's only available from the 'traditional' installer (DVD or netinst). 512MB _may_ work with F16 if you edit the hard floor out of anaconda (grep the code for 768 and you should find it), cross all digits and wait for a following wind. F16's better than F15 and F17 will be better than F16, but we just haven't had time yet to do enough testing to figure out what the actual minimum is and update the posted requirements and anaconda's hard floor yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X