Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Keeps Working On Its Linux DRM

Phoronix: Samsung Keeps Working On Its Linux DRM

While Samsung has its Exynos 4210 DRM merged into the Linux 3.2 kernel as the first DRM driver for ARM in the mainline kernel, they haven't stopped there. More patches have been floating around from Samsung in the past few days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We *really* need another acronym for this. Every time I see it in relation to Linux, I cringe for a split second.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
      We *really* need another acronym for this. Every time I see it in relation to Linux, I cringe for a split second.
      Indeed. Not to mention that such usage "dilutes the brand" and confuses the non-technical (read: majority of) users who are educated that DRM is bad. And "poisons" Google searches, too.

As a stop-gap solution I propose to use "Direct Rendering Manager", or use "drm" (without caps) instead (although the latter one probably makes no difference for Google).

Don't underestimate the power of words. Microsoft are masters of that - everyone who sees "Win" spellt with capital W is going to think (if for a second) about Windows, even if it is used as verb. Linux guerrillas, being underfunded amateurs in marketing, are not going to take over "DRM" word, the world will think about digital rights anyway. Face it, rename the tech and get over it.

Comment

That is true. Still when there are GPUs mentioned I think first of rendering then of digital restriction management.

Besides that it is good to see Samsung doing something for the little Penguin. I mean, they had a few interesting note/netbooks in the past but they were so strictly sold with MSW... no.

Also I hope TI manages to get out a driver for this ImgTec stuff.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Lets call it DRI and thats all, shall we?

Comment

pfff arm sucks no 3d forever. AMD Fusion ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              pfff arm sucks no 3d forever. AMD Fusion ftw.
              But I'd take a phone/tablet with an open source KMS driver over something that is locked down to whatever binary blob is provided by the manufacturer. And phones are outside the range of what Fusion can currently fit into.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                But I'd take a phone/tablet with an open source KMS driver over something that is locked down to whatever binary blob is provided by the manufacturer. And phones are outside the range of what Fusion can currently fit into.
                Yes but than you should call this driver android-driver. because I don?t see any real free linux handys in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  Yes but than you should call this driver android-driver. because I don?t see any real free linux handys in the wild.
                  Handsets, no. I din't know how the openmoko project ended up, and I don't have a Nokia n900. Tablets seem a more likely place for this to happen in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X