ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series On Linux?

Phoronix: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series On Linux?

This morning ATI/AMD launched the ATI Radeon HD 3800 series graphics cards. The ATI Radeon HD 3800 GPUs contain 320 stream processors, PCI Express 2.0 compliance, CrossFire X technology, and an assortment of other Radeon technologies.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see support for this card on Linux, since the powerplay should directly work, too. I hope that support for it comes very soon and I think it *should* not be too difficult to make it work with only little changes since it is basically the same hardware as a 2900XT, just shrinked to 55nm, including UVD and having a 256bit memory interface instead of a 512bit interface.
    I *think* it should basically be about adding the correct PCIIDs and that should cover *most* work needed to at least have it usable for 2D, maybe directly for 3D, too.

Comment

So the article hints that, don't expect support for these new cards in the upcoming 8.23 driver. I was hoping because the RV670 looks really similar to the already supported R600 cards...

Comment

I hope they get their stuff together soon and get this card supported, I want one, the price/performance ratio of these cards are great. When my x1600XT starts running well with the drivers, is when I'll consider the upgrade. If they take too long, it might be nvidia.

Comment

uhm,

for you guys running windows .... supports directx 10.1 uhm, there is no direct directx support, it support shaders and other things, its a standard.

Linux users may take just as much use of the so called" direct x 10.1 functions" or should we say SM 4.1

well, i feel like the 3850 is the buy. =) damn its cheap!

Comment

Well for Win users these cards might be good. Cheaper than the 8800 GT, but would a Linux user really want to wait for a driver which fullfills a least basic expectations... I guess only hardcore ATI friends should buy it - ok, I would take it for free For NV 8800 GT I have read that there are already CUDA beta drivers out (but I don't know anybody who used those), but you need a login to get those, maybe 1-2 weeks for public drivers.

Comment

If ATI is able to have support for SM4.1 in OpenGL 2.x that would swell... Or if they can have support for the upcoming OpenGL 3 spec, that'd be excellent too. For the time being, I'll hold on tight to my SM2.0 card, in the following weeks I'll be upgrading my system, but I'm still not sure what to get for the graphics. To be sure I'll most likely go nVidia, and probably upgrade the GPU down the road to something better, hopefully by then ATI will have mature enough the latest fast drivers, with most of the bugs squashed.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                I would love to see support for this card on Linux, since the powerplay should directly work, too. I hope that support for it comes very soon and I think it *should* not be too difficult to make it work with only little changes since it is basically the same hardware as a 2900XT, just shrinked to 55nm, including UVD and having a 256bit memory interface instead of a 512bit interface.
                I *think* it should basically be about adding the correct PCIIDs and that should cover *most* work needed to at least have it usable for 2D, maybe directly for 3D, too.
                Yeah, this is what we have been told. "Basically add pciids", so our response was "great, then we don't need preproduction hardware, we want the hardware our users will have, so hand us kit when board makers are shipping it" The pciids, if the ones in the fglrx driver were correct, are already in the driver.

All we should theoretically do is wait for:
                * our own boards appearing.
                * users to test and complain when something breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by ProTech View Post
                  So the article hints that, don't expect support for these new cards in the upcoming 8.23 driver. I was hoping because the RV670 looks really similar to the already supported R600 cards...
                  *COUGH* open source *COUGH*

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                    Yeah, this is what we have been told. "Basically add pciids", so our response was "great, then we don't need preproduction hardware, we want the hardware our users will have, so hand us kit when board makers are shipping it" The pciids, if the ones in the fglrx driver were correct, are already in the driver.

All we should theoretically do is wait for:
                    * our own boards appearing.
                    * users to test and complain when something breaks.
                    Excellent, so it should just work. Nice job to you guys. You guys are really hauling. I really can't wait for the day 3d support is ready in RadeonHD. That'll be very exciting.

Comment

Working...
                    X