Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Keynote: The Biggest Enemy Is Yourself

Phoronix: Fedora Keynote: The Biggest Enemy Is Yourself

While the Ubuntu Developer Summit is happening right now in the United States, over in India there is FUDCon, the Fedora conference...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sure applies to gnome developers

Comment

As a little more food for thought, this applies just as strongly to users as it does to developers. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        As a little more food for thought, this applies just as strongly to users as it does to developers. Keep that in mind.
        Agreed. If I wasn't my own enemy I wouldn't use Linux, and I would just enjoy computers like everybody else does.

Comment

our narrowminded-ness that we develop. And it is not easy to change that. The biggest battles we wage are inside our own head. And so that?s one thing I want to see worked on in Fedora.
          Sounds optimistic. There's huge potential being divided between desktop environments and distributions. Red Hat and Fedora community are main Linux engines and they have a power to improve cooperation greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
            Agreed. If I wasn't my own enemy I wouldn't use Linux, and I would just enjoy computers like everybody else does.
            Wait.... What's to "enjoy" about DRM? What's to "enjoy" about shelling out hundreds of dollars for the core OS, and hundreds more for add-on programs to make the OS actually useful? What's to "enjoy" about other people telling you which software you can and cannot install on your computer, and the only way around it is to break a contract you signed with them and/or the law?

What's to "enjoy" about the BSOD-on-boot that I'm (begrudgingly) helping a friend with on their laptop? What's to "enjoy" about contributing to a culture that makes the rich richer, and the poor poorer?

That's the alternative to using a free operating system, so I think that by using one, you are actually not your own enemy -- you're paying attention to and recognizing your objections to the status quo on the two major proprietary operating systems. And you're recognizing that there is no replacement for the genuine enjoyment you do receive by using a free operating system. So don't think you're doing yourself a disservice somehow -- you're not. You are doing the right thing.

Comment

"While the Ubuntu Developer Summit is happening right now in the United States, over in India there is FUDCon, the Fedora conference. "

Does anyone really care? Within the Linux landscape, Fedora is pretty much a in a niche, these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sbergman27 View Post
                Does anyone really care? Within the Linux landscape, Fedora is pretty much a in a niche, these days.
                The third most popular distribution according to DistroWatch does not deserve mention? I agree that the conference is not of much significance, but the same appliers to UDS for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                X