Plans For Ubuntu On Phones Are Laid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madjr View Post
    ubuntu is started to do very good on the cloud space.

am sure they will get their investments back real soon.
    I really don't want to get into an argument, so I'll simply say: what are you basing this confidence on?
    I recall a few years ago they were touting eucalyptus as this fabulous cloud base. Do you know what happened when some people took a look at eucalyptus? They (nasa) said, no, this won't scale, so they started a project called nebula. Later that project merged with rackspace's openstack. Now, openstack has a chance to succeed and somehow ubuntu is the default image. I've no idea why, but there it is, and no, I don't think canonical has contributed much, if anything, to openstack. Frankly, suse would've been the smart option but who knows what will be happening with them in the future. Moreover, I think either, 1)the default image isn't important, 2)something else will be chosen to replace ubuntu. Now I mention this to demonstrate thay canonical's engineering vision isn't exactly proven, thus why I have doubts.
    As for return on investment, i don't think they have yet been in the black, let alone made enough to recover shuttleworth's millions.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      I really don't want to get into an argument, so I'll simply say: what are you basing this confidence on?
      I recall a few years ago they were touting eucalyptus as this fabulous cloud base. Do you know what happened when some people took a look at eucalyptus? They (nasa) said, no, this won't scale, so they started a project called nebula. Later that project merged with rackspace's openstack. Now, openstack has a chance to succeed and somehow ubuntu is the default image. I've no idea why, but there it is, and no, I don't think canonical has contributed much, if anything, to openstack. Frankly, suse would've been the smart option but who knows what will be happening with them in the future. Moreover, I think either, 1)the default image isn't important, 2)something else will be chosen to replace ubuntu. Now I mention this to demonstrate thay canonical's engineering vision isn't exactly proven, thus why I have doubts.
      As for return on investment, i don't think they have yet been in the black, let alone made enough to recover shuttleworth's millions.
      Exactly, neither of us have any real basis.

Neither have access to their accounting numbers, so we're just speculating here.

If they have started to get a good ROI or not is something that is not of our concern either. Last time i checked is their money and i believe they can do whatever they want with it.

Comment

Working...
      X