Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD 5.0 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: OpenBSD 5.0 Released With Many Improvements

OpenBSD 5.0 has been officially released with a number of improvements to this popular BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i want to give it a try but it looks not easy : it says that cd1 and cd2 are needed to install but the files are not easy to find .
    their logo looks like ftp files [ me think the ftp://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.0/i386/ or ftp://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.0/amd64/ show files of isos but not the isos having them all : CD1:5.0/i386/INSTALL.i386 , CD2:5.0/amd64/INSTALL.amd64
    they should use torrents and dvd-iso format for quick and easy setup 4 nooobs like me ;']
    Last edited by jcgeny; 01 November 2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

From ftp://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD.../INSTALL.i386:

Code:
      install50.iso	The i386 boot and installation CD-ROM image,
      		which contains the base and X sets, so that install
      		or upgrade can be done without network connectivity.
      So just get install50.iso for your platform and install it (try it in a virtual machine).

I suggest that you read the FAQ: http://openbsd.org/faq/index.html.

Comment

Chromium 12! They're up to v15 now!

Comment

Chromium 12 was new when the packages for 5.0 were built back in August. There are not enough contributors to keep ports in -stable up to date, so you have to follow -current/snapshots to get the latest ports. This is not recommended for beginners! OpenBSD is probably not the best desktop-system, but it suits me well for programming, writing latex, reading pdfs and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by drm00 View Post
            Chromium 12 was new when the packages for 5.0 were built back in August. There are not enough contributors to keep ports in -stable up to date, so you have to follow -current/snapshots to get the latest ports. This is not recommended for beginners! OpenBSD is probably not the best desktop-system, but it suits me well for programming, writing latex, reading pdfs and stuff.
            How do you read PDFs?

Comment

Working...
            X