Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.
    Care to elaborate? I got source code when I bought the game, but I'm not sure if anything is missing?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      Care to elaborate? I got source code when I bought the game,
      What you got is the source code for the engine.

but I'm not sure if anything is missing?
      What you are missing is the source code for the game.

Comment

There have been games going the other way too, Urban Terror went from being on ioq3 to a proprietary license for Tech3 just to keep their future secret sauce.

Comment

What you describe here is the LGPL. The GPL requires you to also release the code that links to the GPL'd code under a GPL compatible license. In this case this means that not only the engine source code but also the game source code must be released under a GPL compatible license.

Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.
          It is possible to get alternative licensing terms from ID Software, which would circumvent the GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeGamer
            Steel Storm is based on the GPL engine Darkplaces, and its media license is even "almost" FOSS too with the CC-BY-NC-SA license. This makes it possible to use its engine enhancements (like a in-game editor, a really nice menu system, etc) also in other open-source games!

I think this is actually not a bad compromise between trying to cover some expenses and still making open-source games, and that commercial efforts are not strictly incompatible with FOSS game development can be discussed here) It would be cool though, if they would consider a "ransom" design also, i.e. that the game becomes completely FOSS after a certain sum of sales has been reached.
            Wait... isn't this Free Gamer? Why do you have a commercial game on your blog about free games? Well... because it is free, just not as in ...

Originally posted by BlenderNation
            The game has never been released under GPL. It?s released under proprietary license, which refers to CC and GPL (engine is GNU GPL v2, art assets ? CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0).
            Steel Storm Episode I is a shooting game which its arts were done in GIMP and Blender. Kot-in-Action Creative Artel developed this game for Windows, Mac, and GNU/Linux and the game is released under…

I do not know if that clarifies everything though...
            Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 03 November 2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: Additional quote

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post

Originally posted by BlenderNation
              The game has never been released under GPL. It?s released under proprietary license, which refers to CC and GPL (engine is GNU GPL v2, art assets ? CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0).
              Steel Storm Episode I is a shooting game which its arts were done in GIMP and Blender. Kot-in-Action Creative Artel developed this game for Windows, Mac, and GNU/Linux and the game is released under…

I do not know if that clarifies everything though...
              This is illegal. You cannot combine GPL'd code with proprietary code and release it under proprietary license. This is a clear violation of the GPL.

Comment

So I guess this is about the game logic written in QuakeC? If so, they are free to license and distribute it as they see fit.

(Unless it was based on GPL'ed QC, but that seems unlikely).

Comment

This is illegal. You cannot combine GPL'd code with proprietary code and release it under proprietary license.
                  Did they combine GPL'ed code with proprietary code?

The author claimed that he is using a vanilla engine (which is GPL) and proprietary artwork and (scripted) game logic, which would be OK, as artwork does not constitute a derivative work.

Comment

This is illegal.
                    Then where is the copyright suit?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      The author claimed that he is using a vanilla engine (which is GPL) and proprietary artwork and (scripted) game logic, which would be OK, as artwork does not constitute a derivative work.
                      That was my impression as well. I do not think scripted game logic affects the GPL either way. I know for a fact one of the reasons the Steel Storm developers picked DarkPlaces is they liked its scripting language, which is also why they are not really using their Unigine license as they do not have the same fondness for the one it uses.

For example, if I make a program that requires a free software runtime environment, but that program itself is proprietary, does that constitute a violation? As far as I know, that is not the case. So I think they are in the legal clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X