AMD Catalyst 11.12 Will Be Even Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspend?

That's all nice, but how about an actually WORKING suspend mode? Suspend works nice with open source drivers, but open source drivers aren't good for anything 3D but compiz (and that one is a bit slow). How come that AMD's experts cannot make this function work for such a long time? It works on operating systems 10 years old (Windows XP)... If I want to use suspend on my radeon laptop, I need to use open source drivers. If I want to play a game, I need to use Catalyst. And every time I need to restart machine to get one or another. What's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by zzarko View Post
      That's all nice, but how about an actually WORKING suspend mode? Suspend works nice with open source drivers, but open source drivers aren't good for anything 3D but compiz (and that one is a bit slow). How come that AMD's experts cannot make this function work for such a long time? It works on operating systems 10 years old (Windows XP)... If I want to use suspend on my radeon laptop, I need to use open source drivers. If I want to play a game, I need to use Catalyst. And every time I need to restart machine to get one or another. What's the point?
      Unlike OpenGL, suspend is very operating system specific. Means AMD can't share code between Windows and Linux for this, means Linux is fucked.

So with AMD you have two choices:

fglrx: Great 3D performance, bad Linux integration.
      radeon: Great Linux integration, mediocre OpenGL performance and missing features (UVD, HDMI audio)

This is the current AMD Linux situation and has been for a long time. I'd place my bet on the opensource driver to get better OpenGL performance and more features over fglrx to ever get good Linux integration.

Comment

I have been constantly typing such commands, with every release of catalyst driver ever since 11.04 hoping to get working and when it breaks.

$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
        $ sudo aticonfig --initial -f

$ sudo reboot -n

Backtrace:
        [ 55.617] 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x566f66]
        [ 55.617] 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x16abca) [0x56abca]
        [ 55.617] 2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f22169e1000+0x10060) [0x7f22169f1060]
        [ 55.617] 3: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (xdl_xs110_atiddxFreeScreen+0x72) [0x7f22132d7b02]
        [ 55.618] 4: /usr/bin/X (xf86DeleteScreen+0x7c) [0x47cd2c]
        [ 55.618] 5: /usr/bin/X (InitOutput+0xbd2) [0x470e32]
        [ 55.618] 6: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x22d9d) [0x422d9d]
        [ 55.618] 7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xed) [0x7f221591d30d]
        [ 55.618] 8: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x2325d) [0x42325d]
        [ 55.618] Segmentation fault at address 0x41
        [ 55.618]
        Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
        [ 55.618]
        Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
        at http://wiki.x.org
        for help.

Its GPU Hang while booting.

$ sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
        $ sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
        $ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
        $ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
        $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
        $ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

I hope a day will come when sandy bridge (dual graphics) will happily let ati play on ubuntu, until then with every new release I will continue to break the system with above scripts. What does will be better imply? Will it work on sandy bridge computers?

Comment

Sometimes all you need is a bios update. Since the last bios update (27th oct) for my s1155 board i can use suspend when booted via uefi 64 bit, before it never worked. That it works with oss drivers can be a lucky coincidence, fglrx requires a special state when it should work, it does for example not work when you unload kms + radeon and then switch over to fglrx, when you unload nouveau and switch to nvidia it works in about 90% of all cases. Btw. when it is not the latest chip you can use radeon.audio=1 override to enable hdmi sound for oss driver.

Comment

Working...
          X