Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making A Flicker-Free Boot For The Intel DRM

Phoronix: Making A Flicker-Free Boot For The Intel DRM

Intel's Keith Packard and Canonical's Steve Langasek spent some time this weekend working on making the Intel i915 DRM driver to not have its screen flicker at all when booting to Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yea, the flickering is very annoying..Especially when you're booting up with an external projector set up.. People start to wonder what is wrong with your laptop..

This is something that didn't happen in years past during the bootup process.. So it's a regression, the way I see it.. I guess the kernel mode setting might be to blame?

Comment

The annoying thing about "native modes" is that they haven't really evolved into the realm of 24" wide-screens.

Comment

I'm just wishing that the i810/i820/whatever chip in my spare laptop (inspiron 1100 w/ P4 celeron) actually worked under KMS. I have to force UMS in order to get the machine to display anything at all, and then I get stuck with the VESA driver, mesa softpipe, and no X acceleration at all.

It's almost fast enough to play a DVD in this configuration, and I'm seriously considering downgrading the OS to something that still had the UMS acceleration paths.

Comment

Working...
        X