No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.10 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats nothing special, i do not know about any 3d driver that broke from 3.0 to 3.1.

Comment

11.10 sucks on Windows too. Rage isn't supported by it, lol (you just get a screen full of blue shadows instead of the game.)

Comment

For Juniper users experiencing slow performance under ubuntu 11.10 with Unity.

From CCSM composite: disable Detect Refresh Rate
        From CCSM composite: Set Refresh Rate Slider to your refresh rate (60 in my case)
        From CCSM OpenGL: disable Sync to Vblanc
        From Catalyst Control Center in display options disable Tear Free
        Restart X

What I was noticed was that window-drag actions were slow on start. After 10 mins, they were fast. If I unhid the unity launcher (autohide on left side of screen), everything got slow again for a few minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It appeared that screen elements were updating at a different rate. So we either need to get everything drawing at the same rate, or we need to make the rate not matter. The above fix does a little of both. There 'may' be a way to re-enable tear-free desktop in conjunction with other settings and maintain a performant system. I'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
          For Juniper users experiencing slow performance under ubuntu 11.10 with Unity.

From CCSM composite: disable Detect Refresh Rate
          From CCSM composite: Set Refresh Rate Slider to your refresh rate (60 in my case)
          From CCSM OpenGL: disable Sync to Vblanc
          From Catalyst Control Center in display options disable Tear Free
          Restart X

What I was noticed was that window-drag actions were slow on start. After 10 mins, they were fast. If I unhid the unity launcher (autohide on left side of screen), everything got slow again for a few minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It appeared that screen elements were updating at a different rate. So we either need to get everything drawing at the same rate, or we need to make the rate not matter. The above fix does a little of both. There 'may' be a way to re-enable tear-free desktop in conjunction with other settings and maintain a performant system. I'll see how it goes.
          This is Ubuntu bug 763005 - see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/763005 . There is a fix coming in the next version of Compiz/Unity, which will be available as an SRU for Ubuntu 11.10.

Comment

Vaapi?

Hi!

I have a HD2600 Mobility Radeon video card in my laptop. It is an UVD card. With this new version, can I use vaapi?
            The last workable driver is the 11.7 Catalyst, which comes many tearing, and has slow operation...
            With Catalyst 11.9 and 11.10 ubuntu, vaapi crashes too...

Comment

PowerXpress improvements

The latest (11.10) driver has improved also PowerXpress technology: it's the first time it finds my ATI card on my hybrid graphics HP Envy 17, and install the driver, switching to AMD chip. Pity the X.org configuration complains about a missing fglrx device section (probably wrong PCI address) and doesn't work, but still a nice improvement...

Comment

Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1

Will the Catalyst 11.10 Works with Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1?
                Catalyst 11.9 messed up my gnome desktop.gnome switched to classic desktop with no effects.
                tried nomodeset and everything i read on forums.
                Anybody out there with success?
                My Card is Radeon HD 3870.

Comment

No, sir, it still CAN'T boogie.

Originally posted by symcracker View Post
                  Will the Catalyst 11.10 Works with Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1?
                  Catalyst 11.9 messed up my gnome desktop.gnome switched to classic desktop with no effects.
                  tried nomodeset and everything i read on forums.
                  Anybody out there with success?
                  My Card is Radeon HD 3870.
                  I have a [Mobility Radeon HD 4200] in my computer. I have Fedora 15 64bit installed. And no, it will not function at all. Sure, you can start the standard gnome-shell session and the unreadable "butchered" windows are gone, but it is really slow and if you try to activate the upper left corner the whole screen flashes until you avoid the corner or any other sort of animation. It is nasty, that's what it is. It is not working. It is a shame what AMD delivers.

As i do not want to use the opensource driver due to its powermanagement problems i switched to kde plasma-netbook. Using this, i notice no problems with the catalyst 11.10 driver at all. Maybe you should dump Gnome like i did

Comment

At last the GNOME devs and ATi fglrx OpenGL devs are finally joining forces to help us ATi / GNOME users to have a normal working Desktop.!
                    Only good things will come now on the next ati and gnome release.

Comment

Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1

Thanks GrrlTlak for the clarification
                      I'm gonna wait for the Catalyst 11.11,Hope it'll support Fedora 15+Gnome 3,otherwise I'll consider switching my graphic card to GTX 460(Used for dedicated physX) from another machine.
                      messing up with video drivers and re installing OS are time consuming

Comment

Working...
                      X