No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.10 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tested the 11.10 with my radeon hd 3450 / p8400 under Archlinux.
    It seems smoother, really. I can read a HD movie and use the kwin cube effect without noticing a frame rate slow down, there's no tearing, and it seems reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      dammit my arch setup isn't updating all the way because of this xserver 1.11 issue. good to know about the kwin stuff though.
      Why not ignore updating the xorg packages?

Comment

Sometime ago I had troubles installing 11.9 manually(it build installed but black screen happened, back to opencource), so i went to Synaptic to see if 11.10 is there yet. I guess its not, there is nothing new in changelog. But what caught my attention was fglrx-updates package. Does anyone know the difference between fglrx-updates vs fglrx in Ubuntu ?

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
          It doesn't.

Also, it works now with kwin direct GL if you override the default through an environment variable, but it's only usable without vsync or tear free desktop on, else it is really slow.

Thanks but whats the magic "environment variable"?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
            Argh, I hoped xorg 1.11 support would be included in this release. I just hope 11.11 gets released sooner next month.
            Their Linux release date is basically decided by Microsoft since they won't release a Linux build until Microsoft decides to "WHQL" certify this month's buid. (Basically a meaningless sign off that the DRM still works and a chance to make it unaffordable for smaller organizations to make Windows drivers.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              Thanks but whats the magic "environment variable"?

Thanks
              export KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1

in .bashrc

But I'll warn you that Catalyst is pretty misbehaved in this mode. Performance is better using the legacy OpenGL 1 backend with indirect rendering.

Comment

Can somebody help me to install this driver on Fedora 16?

I'm not a Linux newbie, but I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora and have some trouble to install the driver. I always get a black screen or my screen goes to standby at GDM.

I allready tried the "nomodeset" kernel argument with no success. I installed the driver via the ati installer. Anything else you need to know to help me?

Comment

Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
                  Can somebody help me to install this driver on Fedora 16?

I'm not a Linux newbie, but I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora and have some trouble to install the driver. I always get a black screen or my screen goes to standby at GDM.

I allready tried the "nomodeset" kernel argument with no success. I installed the driver via the ati installer. Anything else you need to know to help me?
                  Fedora 16 uses X.org Server 1.11, which Catalyst doesn't support.

You can use Fedora 15, a distribution that still ships an old version of the X server like *buntu, or you can (*_BAD IDEA!!!!!_*) attempt to replace the X.org Server in Fedora 16 with one from Fedora 15. (I haven't done this, but there are a few reports that it "works", whatever that means.)

Fedora users are often stuck on old releases because Ubuntu and OpenSuse tend to use obsolete components to make it less work for proprietary driver vendors to support them. AMD Catalyst supported distributions tend to be a release or two behind on the X server or the kernel on launch.

Nvidia is better about making sure their drivers work, even if it's labeled "beta" you almost always have same day Fedora support.

As for "nomodeset", you have to use that one on Fedora 15 (the RPM Fusion packages add it for you) because the open source radeon module loads too and also attempts to control the hardware. So you get radeon in the kernel trying to set the video mode at the same time Catalyst/FGLRX is trying to set the video mode from user space through the X server, and so the entire system just locks up.

In Ubuntu, the packages add a blacklist entry for the radeon driver, so nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 is not necessary because radeon isn't ever loaded. In Fedora it's stitting there doing nothing, and I think the reason you can't change it is because Ubuntu compiles it as a module while Fedora compiles it into the kernel image so the user can't blacklist it.
                  Last edited by DaemonFC; 01 November 2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try the driver on my Notebook with F15 and GNOME-Shell.

Regards
                    Dopehouse

Comment

For some reason I haven't had any problems thus far with Linux 3.1 + this new driver. (Just renamed the 11.9 ebuild.)

Comment

Working...
                      X