AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forage View Post
    Using Ubuntu 11.10 (x86) with GNOME Shell 3.2 and dual monitor set-up.

Still graphical corruption, though not constant, in different area's:
    - Tooltips and scrollbar handle
    - Glitches over the complete desktop when alternately hovering over two notification area icons (bottom right) a few times

Application overview appears to respond a bit slower and animates slightly less fluently

Enabling "Tear Free Video" in the CCC makes the complete desktop stutter.

In my case I see no notable improvements over 11.9. No Shell crashes/restarts so far though.

The Shell top bar still refuses to be moved to a primary monitor on the right-hand side. I'm, however, not sure if this is a driver or a Shell issue.
    The Tear Free = stuttering and slow is the same thing that happens in KDE 4.7 if you force it to use OpenGL 2 shaders. In KDE's case, the default is it detects FGLRX and falls back to the legacy OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend.

My guess is with GNOME, there is no OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend for it to fall back to and you can't turn vsync off for mutter because GNOME = crusade against competent users who know what they need to do to make the system work right.

WIthout Tear Free on, but with kwin using vsync, you get graphical glitches if you force OpenGL 2 shaders.

But, KDE lets you turn vsync off. So if you're perfectly happy to live with tearing, then you can use the OpenGL 2 backend with kwin.

Comment

And unity?

Did anyone try it with unity?

Comment

Originally posted by bel3atar View Post
        Did anyone try it with unity?
        No, but my guess is that it should work.

Compiz uses a OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend like kwin's legacy mode has no matter what driver you use and is packed full of FGLRX bug workarounds.

Comment

Originally posted by erpe View Post
          Is this finally the driver I'm waiting for over 2 years now?

How does gnome-shell behave?
          Still broke with the slant menu screen corruption and the whole screen glitches. Very disappointed! At least KDE doesn't crash anymore with desktop effects.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Generated DEB-packages doesn't work for me at all. After installation and "amdconfig --initial" X Server doesn't start with this error:
            (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
            (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
            (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
            (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
            (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
            Not sure yet, but probably Oneiric packaging script is broken. Now I can't even go back to Catalyst 11.8 from Canonical repository - it's doesn't load too with same error message. Any advices?
            Follow results: yes, generation DEB-packages for Oneiric is broken. Installation without generation DEB-package work flawlessly.

Comment

Follow results: yes, generation DEB-packages for Oneiric is broken. Installation without generation DEB-package work flawlessly.
              It's not broken, you need the build environment.

If you pay attention to the warnings, it's kind of obvious what all you need.

dh-modealiases, dkms, debhelper, build-essential, execstack, and dpkg-dev should be everything you need (or depend on everything anyway)

Installing from the script is a great way to get a broken system when it doesn't rebuild itself for X or kernel updates, and plows over your Mesa system files.

Comment

Bad idea. I think you got hit by this issue: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  It's not broken, you need the build environment. If you pay attention to the warnings, it's kind of obvious what all you need..
                  Reading documentation is often helpful too http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29
                  Actually, fglrx-updates package from the repo should have the latest Catalyst soon, and building manually shouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Power!

Guys the difference here is really HUGE!!
                    Apart from the fact that freezes just disappeared (which were extremely annoying and dangerous for the filesystem), the BIG difference came for me when I ran the 3 Unigine demos.
                    My system specs: AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (unlocked X2 550)
                    Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 extreme 1GB DDR5
                    4 GB DDR3 1333 RAM OCZ Gold 9-9-9-20 1,65Volt
                    OpenSUSE 11.4 X64 with KDE 4.7.2 Kwin 3D with openGL 2 shaders forced

I saw HEAVEN running at 30 FPS most of the time (and rarely went under it, also three times caught 60 FPS) with Vsync, moderate tessellation, 16X anisotropic, resolution 1440x900 32 bit 60Hz, 4X antialiasing and all of the other options enabled!! Rendering was beautiful with no glitches or artifacts...

With 11,9 Catalyst and earlier HEAVEN was never running with more than 20 FPS (only in 2 scenes managed to reach 30 FPS!!)

The same image showed also with TROPICS and SANCTUARY where I always got 60 FPS and only at one scene in TROPICS counter showed 30 FPS!!

The performance gain I saw is more than double speed and I used Vsync in all of the 3 demos and AMDCCCLE Tearing Free option enabled! I will try to run them without vsync and report back here...
                    But for the desktop feeling I don't think something changed radically... A slight smoother feeling let's say, it's generally in nice shape here...
                    Last edited by djdoo; 31 October 2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

No Vsync or Tear Free

Results from counters: settings as mentioned at my previous post

Heaven -> average 32 FPS, peak 41, bottom 18
                      Tropics -> average 65 FPS, peak 105, bottom 24 with HDR
                      Sanctuary -> average 65 FPS, peak 75, bottom 52 with HDR

I am really impressed with these results!

Comment

Working...
                      X