No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I have worked out a workaround for the time being. I added "insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/kms/fgrlx.ko" to /etc/rc.local.
    that loads the module fine, and then u have to restart x by restarting lightdm to get everything to load right ( either switch into a VT then back, or login and logout, or I guess u could add something like service lightdm restart to /etc/rc.local).

As far as I can see the problem seems to be that modprobe cannot find fglrx. For the life of me I can't figure out why seems it seems to be listed correctly in the modules.dep file and all the other modules files in the kernels /lib/modules directory. When u try to use modprobe maunally to load fglrx, u get something like "Fatal Error: cannot find module fglrx" (thats not it exactly, i'm not on that desktop at the moment so can't test it)

I should mention that amdconfig/aticonfig work just fine, so that isn't the issue, whether u use them or not.....also I tried the solutions at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot and none of what they say there seems to be the problem
    Last edited by chronniff; 01 November 2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if 11.10 works with xorg 1.11? Fedora 16, Debian Testing and Arch Linux should all have it.

It took me enough effort to get 11.8 working again, so I held off with upgrading until 11.10. But there is no changelog or anything :/

Comment

11.10 has definitely no xserver 1.11 support.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
          so I have worked out a workaround for the time being. I added "insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/kms/fgrlx.ko" to /etc/rc.local.
          that loads the module fine, and then u have to restart x by restarting lightdm to get everything to load right ( either switch into a VT then back, or login and logout, or I guess u could add something like service lightdm restart to /etc/rc.local).

As far as I can see the problem seems to be that modprobe cannot find fglrx. For the life of me I can't figure out why seems it seems to be listed correctly in the modules.dep file and all the other modules files in the kernels /lib/modules directory. When u try to use modprobe maunally to load fglrx, u get something like "Fatal Error: cannot find module fglrx" (thats not it exactly, i'm not on that desktop at the moment so can't test it)

I should mention that amdconfig/aticonfig work just fine, so that isn't the issue, whether u use them or not.....also I tried the solutions at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot and none of what they say there seems to be the problem
          Thanks!

This has been bugging me for ages!
          I don't know if it was a typo or not, but the rc.local line had to be modified for my system:
          insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko

Comment

that command is pure crap for serveral reasons:

a) X has suid and therefore it can load fglrx on demand.

b) in the case you want to use X without suid you only need to load a module manually that has got no alias entries. currently nvidia + fglrx have got them (i even parse those to get a whitelist for my script), feel free to look into common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrxko_pci_ids.h. with alias entries udev would load em automatically - when there is no blacklist.

the problem running X without suid is that udev could be too slow to load the module when X should be started very soon, in that case you can put the module name in

/etc/modules

and create the initrd again, then it is usually loaded in the initrd phase already. this hack was definitely never needed for any debian/ubuntu systems. basically you never have to worry about it if you don't want to get rid of suid which is for example done in moblin. Also you would need additional udev rules for the devices created by the modules that a normal user can write em. I am not sure if you really gain much with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              that command is pure crap for serveral reasons:
              haha thanks man, I appreciate it the criticism, however I wasn't posting the command as something I was proud of, nor was I trying to run X without suid. All I was trying to accomplish was getting my stupid system to load the fglrx driver, which it inexplicably won't do on its own with 11.10. Obviously using rc.local wasn't my first choice in fixing this issue.

I am aware that fglrx has aliases, however that doesn't seem to satisfy my system, which doesn't seem to recognize fglrx as a module to be loaded. using the /etc/modules and recreating the initrd doesn't do anything either. manually using modprobe gives me this error "FATAL: Module not found". I'm actually glad u responded, since I have been a fan of ur script since I got this card (5770) and had to deal with this god forsaken driver. In fact when it first didn't work, I tried ur script to see if u had dealt with whatever is going on, but no luck there.

The only way I can find to load fglrx is to insmod the modules path. I did not have this problem with 11.9, so something has gone wrong for me with this release. If u have any ideas as to what might be going on, please let me know, until then I'm forced to use my inelegant hack that gets the job done if I want to use 11.10

Comment

When it is not found you should call "depmod". But that seems to be a bug in your dkms package.

Comment

Originally posted by Margus View Post
                  How do you guys remove, purge and install it. i used this http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                  i used linux only 20 days.
                  sudo rm -R /etc/ati
                  sudo rm -R /usr/lib/fglrx
                  sudo rm -R /usr/share/ati

then install from run file.

i never generated deb files because they allways broke my system.
                  worked fine for me like that. but i dont have ati card anymore.

Comment

That is a really bad idea. Maybe your last ati card was before the lucid (10.04) release, up to that it was basically possible to use the installer directly (although still not recommended). The

update-alternatives --config gl_conf

driver switching knows absolutely nothing about drivers installed that way and thats the critical point. You do even change the ld search path for libs and you can switch if binaries are hidden or not. Thats basically an interesting idea, but it leads to the fact that you may NOT use any gfx driver installers that do not know about that. The one and only way is to create deb packages, as the switching idea is since lucid and there is only 1 binary in the package instead of 2 or 3 for different xservers you could try creating packages for older distributions and use em instead or you can update the packageing, the most easy way would be using my script together with the -u option. What then happens is basically this:
                    Code:
                    wget -qO- "http://phorogit.com/index.php?p=fglrx-packaging.git&dl=targz"|tar zxv
                    rm -rf packages
                    cp -rL fglrx-packaging packages
                    rm -rf fglrx-packaging
                    chmod +x packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh

Comment

my last ati card was 2 weeks ago. with linux mint 11 (based on ubuntu natty).
                      maybe it was bad, but it worked perfectly for me that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X