Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI's New Drivers: Did The Paradise Come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI's New Drivers: Did The Paradise Come?

Phoronix: ATI's New Drivers: Did The Paradise Come?

It's been nearly seven months since I wrote my first article about ATI drivers and how they literally crippled my computer and my daily life. Last month, ATI had finally released their latest drivers which contains the new OpenGL component and AIGLX support. Was this release worth the amount of hype and did it solve everyone's problems? For me, simply, no. After seven months of waiting, updating, and struggling, things are not good for me, in every possible feature of the ATI Linux driver I use.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so it isn't just me ...

Well i hope they stabilize it soon ...

but i am also sick and tired of the word soon; I know it isn't easy. I am a developer so i can respect that. but still ... I feel like i might have waited long enough.

Comment

Maybe it is time to stop waiting for better drivers and start waiting for 3d specifications even though that would mean waiting one more year until stable 3d driver that would work out of box in all distributions.

Comment

well i can agree with everything except powerusage for my hd 2900 XT, it doesnt seem to run at 100% all the time, but this is not the case on the x850 XT PE for sure, it goes on 100% all the time.

but i dunno hows the 2900 XT goes, if its on 100% or not .

performance is godlike though, my aiglx issues are small, but still annoying, my videoplayback issue is a very annoying issue, but they have certanly done something, and the 8.43.xxx may bring some hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Martin Broz View Post
          well i can agree with everything except powerusage for my hd 2900 XT, it doesnt seem to run at 100% all the time, but this is not the case on the x850 XT PE for sure, it goes on 100% all the time.

but i dunno hows the 2900 XT goes, if its on 100% or not .

performance is godlike though, my aiglx issues are small, but still annoying, my videoplayback issue is a very annoying issue, but they have certanly done something, and the 8.43.xxx may bring some hope.
          I hope you're right, 8.43 should be mostly a big bugfix release. Or at least we hope so. About your 100% load thing, I think you're right, because with my x1600XT, if I touch the heatsink while running Linux it feels hotter than normal. But I tried it in Windows for a test and it was nearly ice cold. The card is a pretty good overclocker too. It can go from 590/690 to 700/760 or in other words, 700/1520.

Granted, I can bring it a little higher but I don't like pushing it to the absolute limits. It still doesn't get as hot in Windows as it does in Linux. I wish the x1600XT had a temperature sensor on it and wish they had a temperature reader in the CCC for Linux.

Comment

Two Words describe this situation with the new codebase drivers...

Train...
            Wreck...

Comment

Same here. Runs hot under Linux and video playback sucks. 3D runs well enough, but who cares if I can't watch video.

I'm using my old Nvidia 6200 in Linux. I throw in the 2600HD when I boot into Windows to play games, which isn't too often.

Comment

Memory leaks

The memory leaks are amazing. I just valgrinded glxgears
                and there are bunch of them in fglrx_dri.so

Don't ATI developers use basic tools?

Comment

Originally posted by aznabaal View Post
                  The memory leaks are amazing. I just valgrinded glxgears
                  and there are bunch of them in fglrx_dri.so

Don't ATI developers use basic tools?
                  Keep in mind, most of the dev team there are WINDOWS developers. It probably hasn't occurred to them that they've got better tools at their disposal than BoundsChecker.

Comment

ATI's New Drivers: Did The Paradise Come?
                    uhhhh....no. :] quite the opposite :]

Comment

Working...
                    X