Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Linux Video Transcoder Gets Updated

Phoronix: Popular Linux Video Transcoder Gets Updated

Transmageddon, a popular open-source video transcoder for Linux that's built atop GStreamer, has seen its first major update in more than one year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, a while ago I was looking for something like this but ended up just calling GStreamer from the command-line. I'll check it out.

BTW, the link to the project's homepage has a stray character at the end so the page fails to load :P

Comment

Sweet. Does he have a PPA? I'm still rocking Ubuntu 10.10.

Comment

popular..

popular??

I've never heard about it and there's no ebuild in gentoo, which is a very good indicator of how popular a software is... I wonder where you got the 'popular' from.

Comment

Just tried it out, very nice. Although the time to complete is way off and constantly changes.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
            popular??

I've never heard about it and there's no ebuild in gentoo, which is a very good indicator of how popular a software is... I wonder where you got the 'popular' from.
            My thoughts exactly... Gentoo rules...

Comment

When it comes to quality of rip, speed and options handbrake still is extremely hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                When it comes to quality of rip, speed and options handbrake still is extremely hard to beat.
                I assume you haven't used transmegeddon/arista, or if you have, you didn't know what they are trying to do.
                Their point being an extremely simple decoder that makes extensive use of gstreamer. Simple is the point to stress. Something that anyone can use.
                I agree handbrake has many more options but the interface is so much more complicated.
                As for quality/speed, I can't speak to that since I haven't tried running a comparison. I will say that when I was transcoding, I often went to handbrake but I also used avidemux or straightup ffmpeg depending on what I was doing. None of those are great for people who just want to get a given media into a format that another, probably hardware, player will understand.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  I assume you haven't used transmegeddon/arista, or if you have, you didn't know what they are trying to do.
                  Yes I have used it, as well as pretty much every other encoder gui out there for linux.

Their point being an extremely simple decoder that makes extensive use of gstreamer.
                  Actually they are trying to build a simple encoder.

Simple is the point to stress. Something that anyone can use.
                  I agree handbrake has many more options but the interface is so much more complicated.
                  Handbrakes UI is far from being complicated. A vast majority select the source, destination and then a profile and away they go. Handbrake however does offer more control for tweaking (which once is set is easily set as a preset as well)

As for quality/speed, I can't speak to that since I haven't tried running a comparison. I will say that when I was transcoding, I often went to handbrake but I also used avidemux or straightup ffmpeg depending on what I was doing. None of those are great for people who just want to get a given media into a format that another, probably hardware, player will understand.
                  The quality is quite a bit better in handbrake. Gstreamer based encoders are still extremely poor in handling file size and a/v sync especially when any resampling is needed. They also have a real issue with handling HD broadcast framerates and trying to pull them back down to film. avidemux is great as long as your source is mpeg2/4 but as soon as you get into something like h264 input streams all hell breaks loose and will either give you a really bad sync or just plain out crash due to B-frame use. Forget about using avidemux for accurate cutting as well (not to mention slow as hell indexing).

Straight ffmpeg is fine if you wish to hammer in a crapload of switches while still flying blind for items like proper crops.

Comment

Working...
                  X