Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell To The Classic R300/R600 Mesa Drivers

Phoronix: Farewell To The Classic R300/R600 Mesa Drivers

The death sentence to the ATI Radeon R300/R600 classic Mesa drivers has been carried out. It's all about the Gallium3D drivers now for upstream Mesa for R300 hardware and newer -- up through the latest Radeon HD 6000 series and Fusion...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am glad. F*ck solaris, f*ck bsd! These are server OS, so they doesn't need 3D drivers at all. If one wants free open-source unix like desktop OS, the choice is simple -> Linux.

Comment

I feel bad for BSD but I could care less about solaris. Solaris to me was completely pointless - the only advantage (I'm aware of) was it's SPARC compatibility, which isn't that much of an advantage considering linux is SPARC friendly.

Comment

They were cut due to maintaince burden.
        No one prevents Solaris & BSD to port the G drivers.
        No one support C drivers, so they are cut upstream.
        There would be no upstream changes anyway. There is no damage for Solaris & BSD.

I wonder WHEN intel goes gallium..

Comment

Killing R200? This mean running Linux on my old Macs is now fucked? No more support for the Radeon 7500 AGP and 9200m GPUs? Yeah these GPUs sucked for 3D since even OpenArena ran dog ass slow, but they did well with making video watchable depending on format without bringing the CPU to it's knees and thus grind the machine to a halt...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            no they fix the galium3D +KMS driver to run well with the r200.

they do this in that way: they emulate some openGL exstansions in the cpu to lift up the r200 to an r300 feature set.
            Hhhmmm... I duno if these boxes have the CPU to spare lol, 800Mhz-1.2Ghz G4e models...

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Killing R200? This mean running Linux on my old Macs is now fucked? No more support for the Radeon 7500 AGP and 9200m GPUs? Yeah these GPUs sucked for 3D since even OpenArena ran dog ass slow, but they did well with making video watchable depending on format without bringing the CPU to it's knees and thus grind the machine to a halt...
              We haven't killed r200 support, and I don't believe there are any plans to kill it, either. What Eric did kill was old DRI1 support (you can still use DRI2) and old non-kernel-memory-manager paths. Cleaning house, essentially.

For r300 and r600, the Radeon maintainers preferred to kill the classic drivers in favor of the (more maintained) Gallium ones. Since there isn't a r200 gallium driver (and AFAIK no plans to write one), the r200 classic driver stays.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                I wonder WHEN intel goes gallium..
                We still have no plans to do that.
                Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

There's nothing the classic drivers could do that the Gallium drivers couldn't..
                  Surprised they didn't axe R300/R600 classic a while ago..

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                    We haven't killed r200 support, and I don't believe there are any plans to kill it, either. What Eric did kill was old DRI1 support (you can still use DRI2) and old non-kernel-memory-manager paths. Cleaning house, essentially.

For r300 and r600, the Radeon maintainers preferred to kill the classic drivers in favor of the (more maintained) Gallium ones. Since there isn't a r200 gallium driver (and AFAIK no plans to write one), the r200 classic driver stays.
                    He can still be fucked, as I understand that PowerPC + KMS + AGP is completely broken ATM. This would remove the ums path, which may just be the only usable path.

Comment

Working...
                    X