Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Missing From The Mesa Drivers

Phoronix: What's Missing From The Mesa Drivers

Yesterday I wrote about the state of OpenGL 3.0 support in Mesa, but here's also some of the other missing items from the open-source graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is your title a question as you've not told us what's missing

Comment

While not necessarily related to mesa, a number of OSS drivers are lacking overscan/underscan options under xrandr for DVI and HDMI outputs (use xrandr --prop to see what positioning/margin options exist for your device/output). This isn't a problem for most users, but prevents a number of OSS drivers from serving as a HTPC backend. Considering most inexpensive large-format display devices do not have a configurable 1:1 pixel-mapping option, the implementation of overscan compensation is of great importance if OSS wants to fill this emerging market.

Currently, users of Intel's OSS driver are forced to manually iterate through a number of custom (possibly hazardous) mode lines in order to achieve the desired result. It also forces users to leverage the xorg.conf ( Ignore EDID and manually set explicit timings), which makes dual display HTPC configurations (laptop in a docking station) problematic.
      Last edited by russofris; 28 October 2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

when it comes to the gpu support in linux , the bottle is nearly empty....
        that is not the case with all others parts of the PC . the question is that : private drivers are giving opencl-opengl and may be directx-wine support . while free drivers are not having all that "qualities" .
        is opencl so bad that none can use it to boost some linux calculations ?

the missing thing of the linux-mesa driver is not in code but more in a agreement between nv-ati and free-software

Comment

What is truly appalling is the lack of decent VDPAU support. I finally had to ditch my Radeon R600 for NVIDIA GT520 after waiting for over a year. Back to the blob.

I'd imagine there are more people using Linux for MythTV, XBMC, or other media related applications than games. I'd buy more Radeon hardware if I could, but the quality of 1080i rendering with the current state of drivers is abysmal.

Comment

That was (sadly) informative. I was hoping that once GLSL 1.30 was finished, that 1.40 and 1.50 would be easier/quicker, but it appears that every revision of GLSL requires a lot of work.

What is truly appalling is the lack of decent VDPAU support. I finally had to ditch my Radeon R600 for NVIDIA GT520 after waiting for over a year.
            Yeah, I would grab a GT430/520 if my credit card still worked. Open-source VDPAU seems to be a lower priority than 3D (unless there's work in git branches waiting to be committed that I'm not aware of).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              That was (sadly) informative. I was hoping that once GLSL 1.30 was finished, that 1.40 and 1.50 would be easier/quicker, but it appears that every revision of GLSL requires a lot of work.
              Each version requires a fair amount of work, but 1.3 really was a huge leap in comparison to 1.4 and 1.5. They should come much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Open-source VDPAU seems to be a lower priority than 3D
                I hope so. For ME(!) is an working and bug free 3D environment more important as GPU Video acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  I hope so. For ME(!) is an working and bug free 3D environment more important as GPU Video acceleration.
                  I'm curious -- what are you using 3D for?

From this year's Linux graphics survey it looks like the top two wants/needs are improved 3D and video acceleration. The numbers for the two are almost identical.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                  X