Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Is Going To Keep Its PC Business

Phoronix: HP Is Going To Keep Its PC Business

Back in the middle of August HP said they would be selling their PC business and also discontinuing operations for their webOS devices and exploring what to do with their webOS software stack. Today Hewlett-Packard has announced they will actually be keeping their PC business...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's with companies making a decision then going back on it a few weeks later? Netflix comes to mind...

Comment

In August, my wife's Pavilion dv7 croaked. Upon power-up the fans would run but the screen was blank. I chronicled my repair in a post on Kubuntuforums.net where we were discussing laptops vs. desktops. The repair worked, and I felt justifiably proud that I saved a 14-month-old laptop from the scrapheap.

Scarcely two months later, the problem returned, and I wrote about it again. Unwilling to devote any more time to lengthy repairs, I ordered a customized ThinkPad T520 directly from Lenovo. It just departed the Shanghai plant yesterday and should arrive in a week. Why Lenovo? During 15 years of business travel, laden with employer-provided laptops subjected to far more abuse than any mostly-desk-bound unit luxuriating at home would ever dream of experiencing, no Lenovo of mine has ever failed.

Attention, HP: I've been one of your most loyal customers. You've filled my house with your gear for 20 years. Now, though, you've lost a dedicated customer for good. From you I've purchased: two desktops, four laptops, one netbook, one home server, two scanners, and three printers (plus slightly fewer than one zillion ink cartridges). My love affair with you is over. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's schizophrenia. Please, make up your goddamn mind, pick a business strategy, and stick with it!

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        What's with companies making a decision then going back on it a few weeks later? Netflix comes to mind...
        It's usually a sign of a company that is in deeper trouble then it lets on. It certainly doesn't instill great investor confidence.

Comment

I think it is a good thing that HP keeps its box business. I mean their Laptops (and probably computer) haven't been too bad and they do offer things with AMD parts and they provide quite a number of laptops with Linux (SLED or something) preinstalled.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            I note that the CEO who planned to get rid of it, is no longer the CEO.
            I suspect that the previous CEO did not have any sort of good planning, and Meg Whitman is trying to salvage HP.

Comment

Working...
            X