Linux Foundation Backs Long-Term Support Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
    Name a device without a locked bootloader.
    Oh I know the PC.
    UEFI.
    chirp chirp chirp chirp.

It's not illegal to jailbreak them. So you have the right to waste your time and energy jailbreaking and if you're too stupid to figure it out then that's just tough.
    Good point. The UEFI secure boot protocol can be used to prevent the end-user from running modified/custom software on the device. This is exactly what tivoization is about. And since Linux Foundation employee Linus Torvalds has publicly stated that tivoization is a good thing, it's only logical that he also voices his support for this.

After all if it's okay for one device manufacturer to lock it's product to a specific not user-modifiable proprietary Linux based firmware then it would only be fair if another device manufacturer is also allowed to lock it's product (e.g. laptop) to a specific proprietary Windows based operating system.

I certainly do not want to hear him or the Linux Foundation whine if some device manufacturers decide to use UEFI to lock out any non Windows based operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
      Oh I know the PC.
      UEFI.
      chirp chirp chirp chirp.
      If you buy direct from the manufacturer, rather than the carrier it's not difficult to find a phone that lets you unlock it.

As for the rest, nobody cares, at least when you state it like that. Really dude it sounds like your amped up or whacked out.

Comment

Working...
      X