Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Backs Long-Term Support Kernels

Phoronix: Linux Foundation Backs Long-Term Support Kernels

The Linux Foundation has announced this morning from Prague at LinuxCon Europe 2011 that they will be backing long-term support Linux kernel releases. In a move that targets consumer electronic devices relying upon the Linux kernel, once per year an LTS Linux kernel will be tagged and it will be maintained for a period of two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't like the Linux Foundation. For me the Linux Foundation is not much different than Microsoft or Apple. Well, at least Microsoft an Apple don't lie about their objectives. There is an old saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune."

The Linux Foundation, and thus Linus, are not as independent as they claim but they primarily cater to the interests of their corporate sponsors. Many of them use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware. They are harmful to the freedom of the end-user.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      I don't like the Linux Foundation. For me the Linux Foundation is not much different than Microsoft or Apple. Well, at least Microsoft an Apple don't lie about their objectives. There is an old saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune."

The Linux Foundation, and thus Linus, are not as independent as they claim but they primarily cater to the interests of their corporate sponsors. Many of them use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware. They are harmful to the freedom of the end-user.
      I think that's the lesser of two evils. The other option would probably be licensing proprietary software from Microsoft, even though some companies pay Microsoft to use Linux. At least publically. Privately I'm sure that Microsoft arranges to pay them to claim Linux infringes on Microsoft patents, then the next day $44 million lands on Samsung's lap for "Vista Phone 7 marketing" (sure).

Comment

I thought they already did this?

2.6.32.46 and 2.6.27.59 are the two "LTS" kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
          I think that's the lesser of two evils. The other option would probably be licensing proprietary software from Microsoft, even though some companies pay Microsoft to use Linux.
          I see no difference. Whether my consumer electronics device is running on a proprietary Linux, Windows, iOS or other firmware image it's the same to me. I'm locked out of my device and have to live with all the device's shortcomings and restrictions.

Hell if this is the route Linux is going, i.e., to provide a basis for proprietary firmware images, I might as well move to iOS.

Comment

I see no difference. Whether my consumer electronics device is running on a proprietary Linux, Windows, iOS or other firmware image it's the same to me. I'm locked out of my device and have to live with all the device's shortcomings and restrictions.

Hell if this is the route Linux is going, i.e., to provide a basis for proprietary firmware images, I might as well move to iOS.

DONT FUCKIN BUY IT THEN

its as simple as that

and in the case you don't like the direction linux is taking fork it

Comment

Interesting and needed but two years is nothing in the embedded world.

It is a nice thought but it appears to be more of a marketing snow job than anything.

Sometimes I don't think the Linux world grasps the concept of stability. A couple of years ago I went to an Apple Mac Book Pro for my portable needs. One big draw was that the platform is far more stable with no need for a distro update every six months and the attendant incompatible software.

Now I understand that some of these issue are not Linux kernel specific. The thing is the kernel team does set the mind set for the community. So hopefully this is good news long term.

Comment

You really don't know what you are talking about!

I suppose you expect the entire kernel team to go on welfare while they hack the kernel.

Comment

idiots

you both are goddamn idiots.

you, for thinking that world would change just by you stomping your foot and wishing on a star.
                  freedom is taken by making small steps through blood, sweet and tears; slowly, bit by bit, shifting balance of the scales from one side to the other. which exactly what they are trying to do by eliminating bunch of closed-source forks.
                  what, if it's not 100% awesome then fuck it, let's eat total crap ?

no shit, Sherlock ?
                  if Linux wouldn't be useful in business, it wouldn't be used in business, right ? there is almost no business on the planet which is not using Linux in some manner, directly or indirectly. and there is better fucking be an organization that would speak with major businesses on behalf of Linux community.
                  and concerning "many of whom use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware", the problem with that is that there is no fucking one providing complete, 100% free/libre or even 100% open-source firmwares. so what they supposed to do, fart out a bunch of kind samaritans out of their asses ?

those are rhetorical questions. fuck you.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

DONT FUCKIN BUY IT THEN

its as simple as that
                  and in the case you don't like the direction linux is taking fork it
                  and you are even bigger idiot for suggesting that being a fucking luddite in 21st century, century of tech and information, is a viable option.
                  no, it's not that simple, it's called "not doing a jack shit and living in a forest hut like a moron". and forking entire kernel single-handedly because you don't like how biggest technological conglomerates handle it so you could compete with them is pointless, moronic and impossible.
                  there is not much previous idiot could do other than buying/recommending the least proprietary stuff or becoming the head of some international firm but it still beats doing jack shit.

fuck yourself, take a shotgun, aim it to your head and push the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                    you both are goddamn idiots.

fuck yourself, take a shotgun, aim it to your head and push the trigger.

I think your post is totally "illegal".

Comment

Working...
                    X