Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Staging Merge For Linux 3.2 Kernel Is Huge

Phoronix: The Staging Merge For Linux 3.2 Kernel Is Huge

Linus Torvalds was worried that the Linux 3.2 kernel might be of a worrying size due to the belated release of Linux 3.1. Merge requests are now starting to come in for the Linux 3.2 kernel and the staging merge alone touches several hundred thousand lines of code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I noticed the following interesting bit:

drivers/staging/zcache/zcache-main.c | 51 +-
    drivers/staging/zram/zram_drv.c | 96 +-
    drivers/staging/zram/zram_drv.h | 12 +-
    drivers/staging/zram/zram_sysfs.c | 22 +-

While these have been in the kernel for a short while, I'm having trouble finding what the updates were. lkml is currently dog-slow. Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

grep zram
      grep zcache

Comment

Changes for crystalhd?
        Hopefully, that means that the 970015 code is being added. Previously, the 970015 driver had to be built separately since the in-kernel driver only supported 970010 and 970012. Time to dig into the changes to see if that is, in fact, what they're doing. Would be really nice and help to provide out-of-the-box crystalhd 970015 support.

*** that means, for anyone interested, that you snap in a crystalhd chip and get to watch h264 videos with hardware acceleration withOUT having to add any weird proprietary drivers (i.e. nvidia), or any decoders that are legally questionably (i.e. ffmpeg).

Edit: drat, doesn't mean that. Just nonsense updates to a dated driver.
        Last edited by droidhacker; 25 October 2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Looking at the summarized CL, it appears that Ramster is on its way. Things might get neat for us data center folks with PCIE interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            Looking at the summarized CL, it appears that Ramster is on its way. Things might get neat for us data center folks with PCIE interconnects.
            Any information on how that setup would work?

Comment

Working...
            X