What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky
    But we, ordinary users should just switch to something else and be safe from such anti-user attitude.
    There is no such thing as ordinary or non-ordinary users. There are just users with their own habits and preferences. Some like GNOME 3, some don't and some never even heard of it. Personally I'm fine if you think GNOME 3 is not good for you. However I'm not fine about you telling people what they should do and what they shouldn't. It's not up to you to decide, see?

Comment

put the start-menu back . these big icons are useful for blinds but some have them at 10/10

Comment

Re: Gnome developers are just sick

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky
        After all the anger I had at them, after I called them ***holes, etc, I am no longer mad at them. I don't even hate gnome developers.
        (...)
        And to all Gnome 3 lovers here: Eventually they will remove the features you need, the hour for that just didn't come.
        Remember, first they came for communists....
        I agree with Maxim, but Gnome 2 still works fine here. So I have no reason to leave Gnome at the moment. By the way, I can't choose whether I like KDE or not. I don't like its file managers but I like its Plasma Desktop (though I'd prefer a desktop which does not crash all the time, and that's what KDE 4.5 did at me). But I'll first await the Gnome 3 version of Linux Mint 12 - as Clem knows very well what a lot of people don't like in Gnome 3. It'll most likely be LXDE for me when I have to leave Gnome. Or Xfce, a desktop which I haven't yet tried.
        Unity is also installed on my laptop, but I still have to try it. As long as I can keep using Gnome 2 I don't need another desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
          put the start-menu back . these big icons are useful for blinds but some have them at 10/10
          There is a perfectly reasonable extension for that.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Have a look at Vala.
            Frankly, I really wish they would not allow ANY primary Gnome app to be written in anything other than Vala...
            Which version of Vala would that be? 0.8, 0.9, 0.12, 0.14?

I like the idea behind this high-level language. I just wish they quit dicking around and finalize the language. Who wants to write code and then have to rewrite it at some point in the future because they redesigned the language the code was written in, certainly not me.

Comment

I really don't know why some people are so angry about Gnome that they felt compelled to answer the survey even though: 1)they clearly aren't users (and haven't been for a long time) and 2)have fundamental problems with gnome, yet ask that gnome change its core identity (something that is unreasonable to expect).
              I don't like some of the choices (or rather non-choices) KDE has made but I don't spam every KDE thread just b/c it doesn't suit my taste. Their, and to be fair, it's not just them and it isn't all KDE users obviously, comments are simply noise and make this sort of survey less useful. The reason I say this is b/c their were far too many instances of toolkit fanboys asking the unreasonable and that just isn't useful.
              For those who complain about GS being too heavy on reasources, how much ram/cpu is it using on your pc? On mine, GS uses around 115MB, and that doesn't seem bad considering what is included in that space. Hell, synapse (the launcher) uses more memory. If you compare it to XFCE/LXDE you aren't comparing comparable DEs b/c the later simply don't offer as much by default (or even with heavy configuration, since THAT developer is as bad as some of the gnome devs).
              There were some good criticisms, I thought. Documentation was one I completely forgot about mentioning. The addition of more online accounts (I've read the mailing lists so I know why they went with only Google, but that doesn't mean that it SHOULDN'T be the central place for applications to register their online activities). Mutter needs to remember where windows were placed and their size. Really, mutter needs more "intelligence". You can remove options and make things stark IF the DE adapts to you. Right now you have to adapt to it and the flow, for me, isn't ideal, and I've been using it for nearly 2 years. I would like to see some learning algorithms put into place (using HASKELL!!!!--sure it needn't be haskell, but that including a FPL would be a nice thing for a desktop).

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post

I like the idea behind this high-level language. I just wish they quit dicking around and finalize the language. Who wants to write code and then have to rewrite it at some point in the future because they redesigned the language the code was written in, certainly not me.
                I'm using 0.14.0. What significant changes have been made in the last year or so?
                I recall reading that there are some remaining issues with getting complete GIR coverage in vala but I don't recall what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                  I agree with Maxim, but Gnome 2 still works fine here. So I have no reason to leave Gnome at the moment. By the way, I can't choose whether I like KDE or not. I don't like its file managers but I like its Plasma Desktop (though I'd prefer a desktop which does not crash all the time, and that's what KDE 4.5 did at me). But I'll first await the Gnome 3 version of Linux Mint 12 - as Clem knows very well what a lot of people don't like in Gnome 3. It'll most likely be LXDE for me when I have to leave Gnome. Or Xfce, a desktop which I haven't yet tried.
                  Unity is also installed on my laptop, but I still have to try it. As long as I can keep using Gnome 2 I don't need another desktop.
                  What problems have you found with Dolphin?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post

^^^^^ this.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
                      Oh my. Take one was an opinionated piece of crap. Take two is unloading 1K of comments on readers. Dear Phoronix, take a break. You're clearly out of ideas.
                      Yeah. Try http://www.h-online.com/open/ and LWN for competent technical linux news.

Comment

Working...
                      X