Bulldozer Unstable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldozer Unstable?

Has anyone else had stability issues in Linux? I've tried multiple Linux distributions - Ubuntu, and Gentoo. The only OS that seems to be running stable has been Windows 7, ugh.

To give you some background, the hardware that I am running is exactly the same except I have a new processor -- 8150. I have the same issue with from an installed system as well as using various LiveCDs. There are two symptoms, the system will go into what I can only explain as a power saving mode while in use, the only way to recover is to power off the system from the power supply, or the system will crash to the console and freeze with the dump text error message "BUG: scheduling while atomic: swapper."

The only thing that I can think of is that my power supply has started failing, Bulldozer is pulling entirely too much power, there is some bug with Bulldozer or my processor is malfunctioning, or the fact that I'm using an 890fx motherboard.

System:

Bulldozer 8150
    MSI 890FX-GD70
    8G 1600mhz G.Skill
    750W

------

While researching this issue I came across this thread, maybe my problem is not isolated:

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/2011/.....et-even-worse/

I wont say that Scali is an Intel fanboy, though he may be one in many peoples opinions... But what he most definitely is though, is a die hard anti-AMD fanatic. Anything that he can say or do that might in any way make AMD look bad, then hes gonna say or do it. No matter how far outta his way he has to go.... The guy is fanatically anti-AMD....

About the bug your experiencing, AMD is currently aware of it. And they have been able to duplicate the issue and are working on a fix. Other than that I have no information. I would provide a link to support my claim, but now I cant find the message I read that said so... It was no more than 2 days ago that I read that AMD is aware of the problem, but I cant find it now.
    Last edited by duby229; 22 October 2011, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I wont say that Scali is an Intel fanboy, though he may be one in many peoples opinions... But what he most definitely is though, is a die hard anti-AMD fanatic. Anything that he can say or do that might in any way make AMD look bad, then hes gonna say or do it. No matter how far outta his way he has to go.... The guy is fanatically anti-AMD....
      You know, you could just answer the guy without giving your misinformed opinion...
      You'd think that after the JFAMD-fiasco, that more people would start to see what I'm all about. Anti-AMD? Not at all.
      Here's some blog post being positive about an AMD product (hey, I even bought it, how anti-AMD is that?):
      So, I got an AMD/ATi card… Does that mean they’re off the hook? Nope, not at all. I didn’t buy the card because of their excellent PR, I still feel the same about that… You could say I bought it *d…

Or here, some posts that simpletons such as yourself would probably classify as 'anti-Intel':
      I recently got a Lynnfield kit from someone who failed to get it stable. The kit consists of the following: Intel Core i7 860 processor (codename Lynnfield), socket 1156 Asus P7P55D Deluxe motherbo…

Today I noticed this announcement from Intel, regarding the ARM versions of Windows 8: It seems that Intel is trying to spread some FUD regarding ARM. As I mentioned in a previous blog, the ever fa…

As for the Bulldozer bug, I blogged about it because the issue was there. I just did not see anyone else bringing it to the attention of the greater public.
      I'd do the same for any other brand or any other hardware (as the above blog posts illustrate).

Comment

Working...
      X