No announcement yet.

XBMC-Focused OpenELEC 1.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now we have at least two small xbmc distros, this and geexbox...

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
      I can't wait for next xbmc version which may/will integrate PVR (finally), HD audio and i'm sure so much new things.
      The PVR stuff didn't make it into Eden (11.0). It's on the roadmap for 12.0 according to the roadmap:

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
        Well I use it on my self made NAS Server / HTPC combo, but I haven't found a way to watch justin.tv streams within XBMC. The rest works great of course, but it's still not full featured for me.
        There are some funky ways to get justin.tv working but they are all kinda hack-ish IMO. I bought a boxee box a while ago and that works great for justin.tv as well as watching MLG for starcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          So now we have at least two small xbmc distros, this and geexbox...
          Geexbox is not xbmc based.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Geexbox is not xbmc based.
            It is now... They've done their fair share of borrowing code - It's basically a 2 year out of date openelec

Comment

Originally posted by runrun View Post
              It is now... They've done their fair share of borrowing code - It's basically a 2 year out of date openelec
              How can you say it is? Different playback engine (mplayer) and different front end. About the only thing in common is ffmpeg and X.

Edit: NM, I see the new 2.0 version is using xbmc as a base.
              Last edited by deanjo; 21 October 2011, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajayrockrock View Post
                There are some funky ways to get justin.tv working but they are all kinda hack-ish IMO. I bought a boxee box a while ago and that works great for justin.tv as well as watching MLG for starcraft.
                Yea it looks like kinda hack-ish. Well a Boxee Box would work and I had it on my buy list, but back then it was just to expensive with around ?230,-. As the price was dropped lately maybe I have to consider it again.

Comment

All I want is decent DVD playback. I don't care if it plays AVI, WMV, PVR or drags the weather report in or a constant stream of useless information or whatever. XBMC has great potential, BUT they HAVE to get DVD playback working properly. I have a disc that will freeze XBMC every time; and it's not a new title. Every version of XBMC I've used has done the same thing with this disc. Menu skipping is not constant with dvd's either. Some discs will freeze XBMC when it's enabled, and others freeze XBMC when it isn't. File a bug report I hear someone mumble.... many people have already: years ago.

And now thanks to Paramount and the "Thor" copy protection scheme, XBMC won't even try to play this dvd. Nor will Xine or Mplayer. Yes there is a libdvdread4 patch to fix this, but for me only vlc works with this patch applied. One more issue for XBMC's dvd playback.

Comment

Originally posted by prophet5 View Post
                    All I want is decent DVD playback. I don't care if it plays AVI, WMV, PVR or drags the weather report in or a constant stream of useless information or whatever. XBMC has great potential, BUT they HAVE to get DVD playback working properly. I have a disc that will freeze XBMC every time; and it's not a new title. Every version of XBMC I've used has done the same thing with this disc. Menu skipping is not constant with dvd's either. Some discs will freeze XBMC when it's enabled, and others freeze XBMC when it isn't. File a bug report I hear someone mumble.... many people have already: years ago.

And now thanks to Paramount and the "Thor" copy protection scheme, XBMC won't even try to play this dvd. Nor will Xine or Mplayer. Yes there is a libdvdread4 patch to fix this, but for me only vlc works with this patch applied. One more issue for XBMC's dvd playback.
                    If all you play is DVD's then wouldn't it be just be easier and cheaper to grab a $20 DVD player?

Comment

If all you play is DVD's then wouldn't it be just be easier and cheaper to grab a $20 DVD player?
                      Valid point D, and I do have a stand alone dvd unit. I have to manually adjust the aspect ratio for every single disc despite what I set the dvd player to in order to match my tv, and the remote interferes with my other equipment. Press skip and the tv changes channel and the amp goes up 3dB

It was less of a pita to build a htpc; plus I like the idea of skipping all those lame previews, self promotion (how many times do you have mention it's a Disney DVD) and constant piracy ear bashing

I'm investigating how to replace xbmc's dvdplayer with vlc. The wiki says it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X