Clear All

• Norwegian Site Test's Winxp Vista Linux Etqw And Other

yeah,

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 256 MB
    ATI Radeon HD2900 XT 512mb

LINUX
    VISTA
    ARCH LINUX

IN ETQW ATI IN LINUX BEATED BOTH VISTA AND XP.

LINKS:

http://www.hardware.no/tester/skjerm...driver/44349/1

However, there is performance increasement, but Q4 Lost badly. you find the next buttons, and you probaly understand some parts of it.

GOTO page "Ytelse" which means performance, you guys will understand pictures

On the performance page, notice 1900 XT beats 2900 XT in Quake 4.
    Strange :S

You should not only look on the numbers. At least with a Nvidia 6800 GT (as long as it survied) I did similar tests between Win + Linux with D3/Q4. But: AA/AF settings have not been identical as at least AF was not used even if specified by the game, you needed another tool to force it (nvidia-settings for example). So best would be: force those settings instead of using ingame settings only. You also should compare screenshots to see if there are differnet quality settings. I don't believe in any cross platfrom bench that I did not do myself...

Comment

my experience suggest that Linux REALLY DOES play this game faster.

With AA/AF or without.

No lagg spikes, less loading time,higher fps, and dont got a crappy start lagg that last about a minute.

Comment

Also a good way is to test different AA/AF settings. If you get the same results with differnet settings then you can be sure that something is going wrong.

Comment

The other benchmarks there suggest to me that Linux being faster than Win in ET:QW is a rare case, and all other games wouldn't see such a performance improvement.

Comment

I like these benchmarks I've been seeing of this game lately. I wasn't too big on the game itself, but I do give two thumbs up to Splash Damage and ID for creating such a optimized game for Linux. All I can really say about the performance difference between Linux and Vista, is leverage.

Leverage as in, all the more reasons to show why Linux is better than Vista (Even though we all here who have used both, know that even XP blows away Vista, and Linux blows away XP and Vista.)

I just don't know why people would run Vista, I understand if people need Windows Apps and need to run Windows, and choose Windows XP. But Vista just seems out of the question, I mean Vista practically takes a system with 2Gb of ram and turns it into a system with 1 Gb of ram due to its poor management of resources.

Alright I'm done tearing Vista apart...... For now.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
              I like these benchmarks I've been seeing of this game lately. I wasn't too big on the game itself, but I do give two thumbs up to Splash Damage and ID for creating such a optimized game for Linux. All I can really say about the performance difference between Linux and Vista, is leverage.

Leverage as in, all the more reasons to show why Linux is better than Vista (Even though we all here who have used both, know that even XP blows away Vista, and Linux blows away XP and Vista.)

I just don't know why people would run Vista, I understand if people need Windows Apps and need to run Windows, and choose Windows XP. But Vista just seems out of the question, I mean Vista practically takes a system with 2Gb of ram and turns it into a system with 1 Gb of ram due to its poor management of resources.

Alright I'm done tearing Vista apart...... For now.

haha

ITs the DX10. uhm, i got DX10 running on crysis though, in windows XP @ my 2900 XT. =).

well, linux aint far behind windows in the other test's to be honest.way to go ATI

Comment

I run Vista for most of my gaming. I don't have a copy of XP, and I didn't want to buy a copy of an OS that old.

I noticed this massive performance increase as well with my GeForce 8600. Glad to see it was not just my imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by SamsLembas View Post
                  I run Vista for most of my gaming. I don't have a copy of XP, and I didn't want to buy a copy of an OS that old.

I noticed this massive performance increase as well with my GeForce 8600. Glad to see it was not just my imagination.
                  Might be same fps, but i doubt you have higher fps, since ya got nvidia, its some time before the 8xxx series will pass by windows in performance, even though, all the stuttering, and that sort of lagg is probaly gone, but not directly much higher fps i guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X