AMD FX-4100 Bulldozer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    EDIT2: Worth noting, stage3 fusion is still probably 4-5 more years away.
    For Servers maybe given in 4-5 years is when AMD announced they'll get APUs, but for desktop purposes there's Trinity which will be using Piledriver + VLIW4, and then I'm guessing based off of the architecture announcement a while back that the 2013 APU will be using GCN and should be the stage3 fusion if I'm not failing to understand what you're getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      For Servers maybe given in 4-5 years is when AMD announced they'll get APUs, but for desktop purposes there's Trinity which will be using Piledriver + VLIW4, and then I'm guessing based off of the architecture announcement a while back that the 2013 APU will be using GCN and should be the stage3 fusion if I'm not failing to understand what you're getting at.
      Trinity's APU will be a separate core on the same die. That is stage2 fusion. Stage3 fusion is when they integrate the APU's processing elements directly into the CPU module and develop a native instruction set to utilize them in general purpose code. In the same way that the current FP pipeline is decoupled from the integer pipeline but still shares the frontend, the APU elements for stage3 fusion will be decoupled and share frontend and will most likely be used as a replacement for the existing FP pipeline.

I said 4-5 years because that is generally about how long it takes to get from design to silicon. It's nothing more than a rough guess though.
      Last edited by duby229; 23 October 2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Floating point is freaking part of the CPU.
        You're wrong there buddy.

Most of the CPUs sold today do not even have an fpu onboard do to cost and fpus not being needed for most applications.

Comment

Working...
        X