Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    What motherboards are used in Apple's Mac products? Maybe they would be more suitable for linux builds?
    They are entirely custom boards built specifically for the exact model of Mac they're put in. I believe they're technically built by Foxconn, but they bear no resemblance to Foxconn's off-the-shelf consumer motherboards.

Comment

Ha-ha-ha, and we were aware of EFI boot loaders signing... What would be a point booting system which would not work at all or work suboptimal on the hardware?

Comment

Giga has given me several years of bad experiences, so go fuck a goat Giga, I will never buy your shit again.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
          Ha-ha-ha, and we were aware of EFI boot loaders signing... What would be a point booting system which would not work at all or work suboptimal on the hardware?
          What would be a point buying hardware which would not work at all or work suboptimal with the system?

Comment

whats with the ASPM stuff? i havent really noticed anything weird yet.
            used Asus M2N-E SLi before and switched to Gigabyte GA-970A-D3. havent noticed any problems.
            should i worry about something?

Comment

Due diligence much? What you got was the email equivalent to a phone monkey, you can tell by the lack of technical knowledge and the broken English.

Did you try again? Did you ask Intel and AMD about any relevant released docs that could shed light on the subject to someone on the BIOS team? Did you ask AMD and Intel if they could forward these bug reports to the mobo manufacturers on behalf of the Linux community?

I'm not giving up on Gigabyte just because Michael is a shitty tech journalist, since they make the best mobos I've ever used and they don't cut corners on integrated tech like many others, yes, /I'm looking at you DFI, some of us need more then just USB...

@DanL I've had mixed results with Biostar, they seem a little hit and miss, with some boards being amazing with others being a total POS.

@johnc Not good,as elanthis has stated. Apple as a company has been getting shittier over the years, its to the point I've stopped bothering with them anymore, if my current Macs die I'm not replacing them and will just use a VM to run the old Mac apps and games I have since even building a OSx86 FrankenMac doesn't hold any interest for me and I've been using Apple products since the IIe's I used to love in 2nd grade, I still have my old Mac SE, Classic, PowerBook 100, Performa 630 CD, PowerBook Duo2300c PowerMac 7300/200, Teal iMac, Indigo iMac, PowerMac G4 Sawtooth 450, iBook G3 Snow and even still use the PowerMac G4 Quicksilver... and if any of you have seen me ramble about my Quicksilver before it's apparent I know everything about it, even more about it them most diehard Mac fanbois I've talked to, so I'm not trolling on Apple, I'm just not interested in them anymore and this has nothing to do with the death of that douche bag Steve Jobs.
              Last edited by Kivada; 19 October 2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

To sell those types of products shouldn't be permitted by law.
                Standards are there for a reason. I wonder if European interoperatibility laws could be used legally to sue.

And a hardware vendor shouldn't say publicly that their products "support" software X, since it's software which supports hardware, and not the reverse.
                They should respect all the standards for motherboards or be prohibited to call their product a motherboard.

Unfortunately all motherboard manufacturers do the same, since all of them outsource BIOS making to Asian countries, which are well known to use only Microsoft products.
                Many Asians don't even know that things like Linux or Firefox exist at all.

Comment

Another unhappy GIGABYTE customer here

Have similar bad experience with GIGABYTE M1305 notebook, their bios is really broken, DMAR reported at address 0, power management issues and more. I did write them, and I even didn't mention linux, just that their BIOS ACPI implementation is not according to the spec. And I get the same response. "We only support Windows 7, send screenshot of your problem on Windows 7." No more GIGABYTE for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Due diligence much? What you got was the email equivalent to a phone monkey, you can tell by the lack of technical knowledge and the broken English.
                    So? If that is how a company wants to present itself to the world, they deserve to get a bad reputation for brushing off customer complaints instead of investigating them. They want to sell you stuff, due diligence should apply to their side, not yours.

Comment

Gigabyte is just another pro-microsoftie crappy vendor, that joins the glorius parade of idiots among with Logitech, Adobe et al.

How do you spot a crappy vendor? This easy:

If you ever have a problem with hardware, and you mention in any location that you use Linux (or BSD etc, no matter) you immediately get response:
                      Sorry, we currently do not support Linux.

The problem does not have even to originate from Linux or OS itself, at all. You immediately will get this response.
                      I think it is actually a global case and it is written on their note tables and discussed on meeting.

This is work of microsoft, to protect one of columns of its monopoly.

1) Hardware vendors/drivers.
                      2) Preinstallations via OEM illegal agreements(either 100% microsoft preinstall or pay full price) to achieve MASS distribution.
                      3) Control over major protocols and standarts.

So, what can you do about it?

Simple!

Should you happen to purchase ANY hardware in RETAIL store, just shout out loud that microsoft, logitech, gigabyte et al are for retards

BTW, do you know how to update/reflash your BIOS EEPROM when using Gigabytes?
                      Right, their BIOS updates are packed in .exe binaries! Only Gigabyte does this!
                      Luckily, that are not some custom installers, but just 7z self extracting archives! So p7zip can extract it directly, like it were .7z!

If you happen to run on these instructions in Gigabyte forum, how to extract this BIOS .exe in Linux, do know I wrote it for them(Gigabyte).

Buy Asrock / ASUS if you need consumer motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X