Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Phoronix: Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

If you have an affected motherboard to the ASPM power regression in the Linux kernel and it's from Gigabyte, don't expect a BIOS update from them to correct the ASPM semantics in the BIOS. Gigabyte recommends you just use Microsoft Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These are Microsoft technologies anyway. No wonder they don't work.

But please feel free to wake me up next time a Linux vendor innovates a new Desktop hardware technology itself. I'm pretty sure Red Hat and Canonical have done much in this regard.

/sarcasm off

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      These are Microsoft technologies anyway. No wonder they don't work.

But please feel free to wake me up next time a Linux vendor innovates a new Desktop hardware technology itself. I'm pretty sure Red Hat and Canonical have done much in this regard.

/sarcasm off
      What scares the hell out of me is how many motherboard manufacturers are going to use Windows 8 digital signing and not give an option to disable it in their bios rendering trying to install any other OS useless. I can actually see venders doing this in the near future as a way of avoiding the "hassling linux bug issues".

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

...Gigabyte recommends you just use Microsoft Windows...
        And now 40+ Million Linux users recommend you buy boards from manufacturers other than Gigabyte.

Sad - I've got a couple of Gigabyte boards and never had problems with them, but see if I recommend their new boards to anyone now.

Comment

The only difference displayed here between Gigabyte and most other PC hardware vendors is that someone at Gigabyte actually admitted that they call it a day once the product works with Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            The only difference displayed here between Gigabyte and most other PC hardware vendors is that someone at Gigabyte actually admitted that they call it a day once the product works with Windows.
            Most motherboard manufacturers only list Windows as supported operating systems in their product descriptions and manuals. If it works in another OS, it's a bonus but rarely supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
              +1

unless something like them doing the secureboot lockdown nonsense happens, I'm sticking with Gigabyte thank you very much

Comment

My experience

I have an Intel motherboard (DP55WG) where ASPM is also disabled by Linux and I re-enable. They do fairly frequent BIOS updates and seem to be on the ball so I wonder what the problem is. Most frustrating is that the BIOS hangs at POST if my Android phone is connected via USB. Needless to say their support blamed my phone (I wonder which bit of the USB says how to hang the BIOS) and had the ingenious solution of unplugging the phone before turning on power. Who would have thought of that? I did say they need to tell the BIOS writers, but support were just doing their usual having 10 answers and ensuring that all enquiries get one of them rather than addressing the issue.

I also have a Lenovo T61 laptop which had a BIOS issue with Linux (you got a flood of unexpected interrupts). They did fix that in a BIOS update and hence will be getting all my future business not to mention several people I recommend to.

I greatly appreciate Gigabyte's response. The usual problem is too wide a selection of motherboards so it is nice to eliminate several manufacturers in one go.
                Last edited by grotgrot; 18 October 2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
                  I have an Intel motherboard (DP55WG) where ASPM is also disabled by Linux and I re-enable. They do fairly frequent BIOS updates and seem to be on the ball so I wonder what the problem is. Most frustrating is that the BIOS hangs at POST if my Android phone is connected via USB. Needless to say their support blamed my phone (I wonder which bit of the USB says how to hang the BIOS) and had the ingenious solution of unplugging the phone before turning on power. Who would have thought of that? I did say they need to tell the BIOS writers, but support were just doing their usual having 10 answers and ensuring that all enquiries get one of them rather than addressing the issue.

I also have a Lenovo T61 laptop which had a BIOS issue with Linux (you got a flood of unexpected interrupts). They did fix that in a BIOS update and hence will be getting all my future business not to mention several people I recommend to.

I greatly appreciate Gigabyte's response. The usual problem is too wide a selection of motherboards so it is nice to eliminate several manufacturers in one go.
                  The same thing happened with my Lenovo T520. I called their technical support and they told me to use Windows.

Comment

I've had the best success with Biostar, though I only use their T-series AMD boards and I wouldn't want anyone to buy a board expecting Linux support. I've never used their tech support because I don't think they officially support Linux and I see they don't hire a lot of native English speakers... Comments on them from anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                    X