Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Bullsh!t. Ask them when you can expect the check for a Windows license.
    They told me that their technicians tested hardware with Windows, so if I sent my laptop to them to repair a Linux issue, they would send it back saying it worked. I assume that Microsoft's Windows license check is done against whatever disk they use for factory testing.
    Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 20 October 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      What motherboards are used in Apple's Mac products? Maybe they would be more suitable for linux builds?
      My 13" Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (Purchased fall of 2009) works in Ubuntu without any major issues. Sleep/Hibernate, LCD brightness, keyboard backlight, wireless, bluetooth and other stuff all works fine. ASPM is properly supported on the motherboard.

I'm using the Nvidia blob with my GF9400M, but in the future I may give nouveau a chance (once they have power management sorted out).

Not sure what they use in their desktop models, but the laptops work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        I have a Biostar (GeForce 6100 am2 (v1.x)) motherboard. I don't know whether it supports ASPM or not, but I wouldn't hope for them to release a BIOS that did. It works alright, but it has it's quirks (suspend isn't quite what you'd expect, and it displays a warning at every POST if you upclock anywhere beyond the base 200Mhz...whatever that means; actual processor speed doesn't seem to change).

They haven't updated the BIOS for this board since December 2007, and it was a beta version. Of course, the 3.x revision of the motherboard has a more recent (not beta) BIOS, but I dare not try to use it on my board....

Lessons learned: do (actual) research before you buy, and don't buy cheep. >_<
        On a 2.6.38 or newer kernel "dmesg | grep ASPM"

And it's not a huge issue if it's a desktop, though it is a bigger issue on laptops or in data centers.

Comment

Code:
          [    0.142522] pci 0000:02:00.0: disabling ASPM on pre-1.1 PCIe device.  You can enable it with 'pcie_aspm=force'
          [    0.143080] ACPI _OSC control for PCIe not granted, disabling ASPM
          ...must be time to upgrade. I guess I'll send the mobo to the coreboot people and graphics card to the nouveau people when I do. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            It's not really realistic for vendors to go back and validate old hardware for a feature which was "unsupported" at the time. It's a waste of resources since there's no new revenue attached to it.
            New revenue might depend on potential customer's previous experiences with them, so that's not entirely true...

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              Code:
              [    0.142522] pci 0000:02:00.0: disabling ASPM on pre-1.1 PCIe device.  You can enable it with 'pcie_aspm=force'
              [    0.143080] ACPI _OSC control for PCIe not granted, disabling ASPM
              ...must be time to upgrade. I guess I'll send the mobo to the coreboot people and graphics card to the nouveau people when I do. ^_^
              This means your BIOS is OK (or your kernel is not 2.6.38+) but the device itself indicates not to support ASPM. This is usually correct; enabling ASPM on those devices often causes a lot of trouble.
              This message also appears on pre-2.6.38 kernels, going back to at least 2.6.27.

By the way, you can lookup in lspci which device is "02:00.0".
              Last edited by AlbertP; 23 October 2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                This means your BIOS is OK (or your kernel is not 2.6.38+) but the device itself indicates not to support ASPM. This is usually correct; enabling ASPM on those devices often causes a lot of trouble.
                This message also appears on pre-2.6.38 kernels, going back to at least 2.6.27.

By the way, you can lookup in lspci which device is "02:00.0".

Oh so it may be the DEVICE itself that doesn't support ASPM, rather than the mobo. In my opinion it is usually PCIe video cards have issues with ASPM, as putting such devices to sleep could very well leave you with a black screen when it is awoken.

Comment

ASPM did not exist in the first PCIe specification: power management had to be sorted out by the drivers of those devices. PCIe 1.1 introduced this problematic feature. So there are a lot of cards out which do not yet have any ASPM built-in, and this is properly detected unless you use pcie_aspm=force.

Comment

I'm using version 2.6.40.6, on Fedora 15. pci device 02:00.0 is my video card--I had verified that a while back, but didn't think it was important enough to edit my post.

Probably unrelated: my monitor (almost?) always fails to enter suspend mode when I suspend my desktop--sometimes a vt is visible, sometimes the plymouth splash, and sometimes just black. Nothing unusual is ever logged (in kernel.log or xorg.0.log). I tried asking on IRC about it one or two times, but I usually have to leave before I get a reply and my connection is shaky.

btw, what is the "_OSC control"?

Comment

ASPM is not supported PCIe 1.0 devices. It was introduced with 1.1.
                      This way a lot of older NVidia PCIe cards, at least up to GeForce 6 (not sure about GeForce 7), do not support it.
                      When you do not use pcie_aspm=force, Linux correctly detects PCIe 1.0 and disables ASPM. It only affects this device and is not globally: so your BIOS is OK.

The same thing happens on some (wired & wireless) networking cards, and many other early PCIe devices.

Comment

Working...
                      X