No announcement yet.

It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the information LinuxID10T, i got to try that out.

Comment

Or you can do as I suggested and just use the Gnome Fallback mode...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        Or you can do as I suggested and just use the Gnome Fallback mode...

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post233395
        It really isn't a good alternative. It is half baked at best and has many flaws. My solutions has all the pluses of Gnome 3 with the usability of Gnome 2.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          It really isn't a good alternative. It is half baked at best and has many flaws. My solutions has all the pluses of Gnome 3 with the usability of Gnome 2.
          If you want to use the Gnome Shell's features your idea may have merit, however, if you just want a Gnome 2.x like system what is wrong with the Fallback? It has become just as good as the old Gnome Panel in terms of features and is still improving and receiving support. What is left to be "half baked"? You do not like the theme?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            If you want to use the Gnome Shell's features your idea may have merit, however, if you just want a Gnome 2.x like system what is wrong with the Fallback? It has become just as good as the old Gnome Panel in terms of features and is still improving and receiving support. What is left to be "half baked"? You do not like the theme?
            Actually, you bring up a couple very valid points. First, the half bakedness has to do a bit with how everything lines up in the menus for example. Yes, the themeing is a bit on the offside. The lack of a system drop down menu, just small things. Second, I prefer my solution because it really does take the best from both worlds. Honestly, my solution is what I always dreamed gnome would be someday. It feels like the evolutionary step where Gnome should have gone, rather than the revolutionary Gnome 3 misstep.

Comment

So, I am going to be constructive here and tell you all that there ARE Gnome 3 extensions that will make you want to forget about Gnome 2 and LOVE Gnome 3. It is a shame they aren't by default, or at least included in Gnome 3.

Step 1. Install the extensions from here. http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

Step 2. Download Gnome-tweak apt://gnome-tweak-tool

Step 3. Enable all the extensions in Gnome-tweak

Step 4. Fix the maximum, minimize, and close buttons. Set to all for maximum Gnome 2 ness.

Step 5. Enjoy staring at your actually usable desktop for a while.

Step 6. GET SHIT DONE!
              http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6811/gettingdone.png

Step 7. Profit?
              Great post sir. I really love the platform they have built gnome 3 on, its very extensible being written in javascript and css. I think this is gnome-shell's biggest advantage over unity, IMO gnome put a lot more thought into the underlying platform, while canonical took the hacky route implementing unity as a glorified compiz plugin.

Comment

Actually, you bring up a couple very valid points. First, the half bakedness has to do a bit with how everything lines up in the menus for example. Yes, the themeing is a bit on the offside. The lack of a system drop down menu, just small things. Second, I prefer my solution because it really does take the best from both worlds. Honestly, my solution is what I always dreamed gnome would be someday. It feels like the evolutionary step where Gnome should have gone, rather than the revolutionary Gnome 3 misstep.
                Well, that is a fair enough argument, and if it works for you that is great.

Personally, I think the Fallback mode Panel is better than the one in Gnome 2.x actually. The applet placement is more sane, and prevents them moving all over the place when you change screen resolution and gets rid of that stupid locking mechanism you had to fight with in a vain effort to stop things moving around. To me the system drop down menu has been completely depreciated by System Settings and the user menu, and the whole layout is actually cleaner without it. As for the menu line up complaints I am not sure what you mean, but I will take your word for it. Still, if it has not bothered me, I can not really complain.

After that, my only issue has been theming, and that is why I am rolling my own. And thanks to GTK3 that is much easier to do than ever.

Comment

Journalism?

Quality reporting again Michael, pasting vitriol on the front page and pretending it is journalism.

My only consolation is that, like the kernel 'power' bugs, any conclusions from this survey will not be reported upstream.

You really should ask yourself, "am I helping?" before doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by nzjrs View Post
                    Quality reporting again Michael, pasting vitriol on the front page and pretending it is journalism.

My only consolation is that, like the kernel 'power' bugs, any conclusions from this survey will not be reported upstream.

You really should ask yourself, "am I helping?" before doing this.
                    All he is doing is showing the developers how the vast majority of users feel. Sure, he could have done it more constructively, but none the less. He is helping the developers see there are other people than themselves and they should do what the users want.

Comment

I don't really think that Gnome Shell was a misstep. What I see here is people that are used to the old design and just can't adapt to the new one. I've used a lot of DE (Windows 3.11, 98, XP, 7, OSX (10.5, 10.6, 10.7), *box, KDE, Gnome 2, Gnome 3) and Gnome 3 is one of my favorites, but I admit it has some flaws.

I don't understand some of your complaints, if you all haters can explain to me, that would be nice:

1) Why do you need the bottom bar, with the window list and workspace list? By just pressing the Window key in Gnome Shell, you have the same information, with a bigger size and without that permanent bottom bar. But there's one improvements that can be made. Allowing the user to activade/deactivate the auto-hide of the workspace list when in the activities screen.

2) Why do you need the drop-down menu? In Gnome 3.2, you just have to press Window key and you get the same information. One improvement would be to move the category list from the right side of the screen, to the left side, between the favorite list and the application grid. And for those complaining about "you have to move the mouse a lot", I think you should buy a mouse with a higher DPI. If you have the cash to buy a big ass screen, then you have the cash to buy a decent mouse. An even better solution would be to use the keyboard to launch an application. Just press Window key, then type the name of the application (or part of it) and press Enter. Easy.

3) Why do you need the favorite list in the top bar? Just press Window key and you have that information on the right side of the activities screen, with bigger icons.a

Comment

Working...
                      X