• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    You should show this to Gnome devs, because [...]
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
      I appreciate the time you put into collecting all those links, but I keep reserving my right to disagree
      Yes, sure. But it was not a "collection of links". All those links were centered around one topic: microsoft using 50%+ of "windows tax" not for any development, but for slicking behind the user attention, keep user as idiots, tax them, maintain this situation.
      Hence, microsoft are and are for idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        Yes, sure. But it was not a "collection of links". All those links were centered around one topic: microsoft using 50%+ of "windows tax" not for any development, but for slicking behind the user attention, keep user as idiots, tax them, maintain this situation.
        Hence, microsoft are and are for idiots.
        The Linux desktop is still at <1% market share and comments that assert that the other 99.5% of the world are just idiots, rather than addressing the numerous problems of user-friendliness on the Linux desktop environments (and I do mean all of them), are pure arrogance.

But by all means.. Continue in your own little world making assumption that everybody in the world except you is a complete idiot.. That kind of attitude has really done a lot for the Linux desktop over the years (sarcasm).

Gnome 3.X and KDE4 are a long way from perfect, but at least they're trying new things and trying to be innovative.. Sure there's going to be bumps along the road, but I'd think the Linux community should be in favor of significant changes rather than against it. Unless the Linux community in general really doesn't care to remain at the <1%. In which case the rest of the world will go on dismissing the Desktop Linux users as insignificant and perhaps even irrelevant to Desktop computing.
        Last edited by Sidicas; 19 October 2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
          The Linux desktop is still at <1% market share and comments that assert that the other 99.5% of the world are just idiots, rather than addressing the numerous problems of user-friendliness on the Linux desktop environments (and I do mean all of them), are pure arrogance.
          I see no reason to consider Linux is less popular than Os x. Btw. Ubuntu and some KDE distros are much more user friendly than ms Windozes, but they are less popular. I consider they're also much more user friendly than Os x. The main problems of unpopularity lay in available (or rather missing in this case) apps and PR bull. Btw. that 1% was funny years ago. If we also count Android the numbers can be quite good for Linux. Saying that every non Linux user is an idiot isn't smart, but I think when someone says such thing he means real idiots who follow their imaginary gods blindly.

Comment

You should show this to Gnome devs, because it's far more attractive and usable than defaults.
            I would love to if they would give half a shit. However, clearly they don't. If there was a way I could work with the guy that made those extensions to get them pushed upstream, I would totally do so. Just curious, did you try out the modifications for yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Hahahahahahahahahahaha
              That was the first thing I thought... LOL

Comment

Btw. Ubuntu and some KDE distros are much more user friendly than ms Windozes, but they are less popular.
                The desktop environments might be more user friendly, but the applications that you run under the desktop environment still have a long way to go to be on par with their Windows equivalents.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                I see no reason to consider Linux is less popular than Os x.
                I'm not sure what you mean here.. Do you consider Mac OS X users to be Linux users?

Last time I checked, Mac OS X was up to 15% Desktop market share.. The major Linux desktop environments are still around 1%.. All of Mac OS X's growth came from former Windows users, so it's not impossible to steal Windows market share.. It's just that Linux desktop environments haven't been doing a good job of it.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Btw. that 1% was funny years ago. If we also count Android the numbers can be quite good for Linux.
                Android is for tablets and cell phones.. Not for desktops.. I was referring to Desktop Linux, but yes it's great to see the success of Linux even if that means that Android will ultimately be competing against Gnome and KDE (Plasma Active one) in the tablet market.

The major thing I have against Android is that it does not run KDE and Gnome apps naively like a typical Linux desktop would.. So any market share lost from Gnome or KDE to Android could be disastrous as there is non-trivial porting barrier there making it difficult for open source apps to support both (Gnome + Android or KDE + Android). Compared to running KDE + Gnome apps on a typical Linux desktop which works just fine.

Google is trying to push their Android as a desktop solution to everything mobile.. And one day might start gobbling up KDE and Gnome users along the way if the major desktop environments don't keep up with the innovation.

Check out some of the new videos from Google's Ice Cream Sandwich release of Android.. Pretty amazing stuff.
                Last edited by Sidicas; 19 October 2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                  I would love to if they would give half a shit. However, clearly they don't. If there was a way I could work with the guy that made those extensions to get them pushed upstream, I would totally do so. Just curious, did you try out the modifications for yourself?
                  That would be very good for Gnome. I didn't try this, because I run Arch with KDE right now. However, that modified Gnome looks simply great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean here.. Do you consider Mac OS X users to be Linux users?

Last time I checked, Mac OS X was up to 15% Desktop market share.. The major Linux desktop environments are still around 1%.. All of Mac OS X's growth came from former Windows users, so it's not impossible to steal Windows market share.. It's just that Linux desktop environments haven't been doing a good job of it.
                    That's hard to believe Os x market share is higher than 10%. Numbers can be misleading, because afaik there's no good way to measure Linux market share.

Android is for tablets and cell phones.. Not for desktops.. I was referring to Desktop Linux, but yes it's great to see the success of Linux even if that means that Android will ultimately be competing against Gnome and KDE (Plasma Active one) in the tablet market.
                    That's true what you said about Android, of course. It's not for desktop, but it makes overall Linux more popular some way.

Comment

That's hard to believe Os x market share is higher than 10%. Numbers can be misleading, because afaik there's no good way to measure Linux market share.
                      I find this a good measure, but you don't get all those FaceBook junkies etc. Only people who actual visit Wikipedia to look up stuff. Which most people do at work, since without Wikipedia the IQ drops by ~50% Also you don't visit Wikipedia from a server or something, those are indeed Desktop systems.

On Wikipedia Linux is ~3.3%, iOs 3.5%, Mac 8.15% and Windows 78.7%

Comment

Working...
                      X