Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks From Wine 1.3.21 To Wine 1.3.30

Phoronix: Benchmarks From Wine 1.3.21 To Wine 1.3.30

Here's a glance at how the Direct3D/OpenGL performance in Wine has evolved over the past several months, from Wine 1.3.21 to Wine 1.3.30...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd love to see some benchmarks for games through wine on r600g compared to native windows performance (yes, it's unfair, but still ;-) ). I just started Steam (which I installed almost a year ago on my gentoo system) yesterday and clicked on the "Play Half-Life 2" button and was quite surprised how well it runs. Even Portal 2 is working (but quite slow). That's on a HD4870.
    It would also be great to hear some news about r600g development ... stuff like Hyper-Z is marked as "WIP" for quite some while now - is there still work being done on those (performance) things or are the developers busy to get the next generation hardware running ? Also I'd be very interested if Jerome Glisse plans to work on the stuff in his personal repo again ... there haven't been any updates in 3 months or so. Well, of course all of this is quite off-topic, so I better stop now :-)

Comment

Consider that more features have been added in versions.

Great to see Wine comparisons. It helps to spur on improvements for this excellent project.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
        I'd love to see some benchmarks for games through wine on r600g compared to native windows performance (yes, it's unfair, but still ;-) ). I just started Steam (which I installed almost a year ago on my gentoo system) yesterday and clicked on the "Play Half-Life 2" button and was quite surprised how well it runs. Even Portal 2 is working (but quite slow). That's on a HD4870.
        It would also be great to hear some news about r600g development ... stuff like Hyper-Z is marked as "WIP" for quite some while now - is there still work being done on those (performance) things or are the developers busy to get the next generation hardware running ? Also I'd be very interested if Jerome Glisse plans to work on the stuff in his personal repo again ... there haven't been any updates in 3 months or so. Well, of course all of this is quite off-topic, so I better stop now :-)
        I would like to see articles on Nouveau development.

Comment

I'm not that interested in the performance of one wine update to the next

although i guess it could be interesting. But I would love to see some wine tests among your graphics tests. See how r600g handles wine over time, and compared to fglrx. Etc.

Comment

On my system (fglrx, AMD4870) there where a big performance regression in 1.3.23 in the Call of Duty games. It has since then slowly getting a bit better but still not close to the performance of 1.3.22. I guess that it has to do with Wine getting more Direct3D things implemented so stuff that where /dev/null before now actually does stuff. Still sad though since I go from about 40FPS to around 5FPS at times. Standing still though and only moving around the view with the mouse is still quite fast though

Comment

Nice to see Wine benchmarks, but I would have liked to see other benchmarks.

#1 Actually applications and games benchmarked. Cause, you know, that's what people will be doing with Wine.
              #2 Comparison with applications running in Windows vs Wine.
              #3 Benchmarks with the use of OpenGL as well as Direct3D games.

Wine is going to be the bridge that brings users to Linux.

Comment

WoW!
                I was just about to ask about possibility of series of Wine tests .

Any wine developer here?

I'm thinking about starting wine development, cause World of Tanks game which refuse to work well. And right now there are 3 bad way to run it on Linux.
                Some proprietary old-like-hell spin of wine, even older Play on Linux installation script, and patching wine source code.

How ever ppl who do this see the difference in plus between older wines and newest!

So keep doing you job wine devs!

Comment

Working...
                X