This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
    Part of the gameplay equation is graphics. If the guy you are shooting looks like lego man I would think it would affect gameplay a little. Anyway I would love to see Crysis in Linux, I am currently playing the beta and it looks promising. Oh and I pay a lot for the hardware I have to have the best gaming experience possible so I dont really want to play old games. Nothing against them, just think games like Crysis and Hellgate London have a lot of potential.
    Considering that Haze looks VERY nice and definitely close in eye-candy to Crysis, I don't think I'll mind too much.

Comment

Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
      If the guy you are shooting looks like lego man I would think it would affect gameplay a little.
      Well, that didn't stop Lego Star Wars from being quite successful.

Keep in mind that, although technically inferior to 360 or PS3, the Wii brings you tons of gaming pleasure.

Comment

It'd be tough for me to choose a favorite game of all-time, but Sid Meier's Pirates! from the 1980s is a definite Top Three pick.

Current favorites are ET:QW (runs like a dream from Linux, which makes me very happy) and Battlefield 2 running the Project Reality mod (does not like Linux, unfortunately).

And who doesn't like Gnometris?

Comment

Quake 3 and UT 2004 for sure !

Comment

Mine are:

Quake 3, Xmoto, UT 2004, Uplink, Battle of Wesnoth, and uhh.... Potato Head.. Haha kidding

The only Windows game at the moment I'm into is Team Fortress 2.

My dream is to one day take one of the open source Quake engines and create a open source Diablo styled game. Or take a open source Quake engine (Probably the ioquake 3 engine in this case) and create a open source game highly inspired by the Jedi Knight series. Would be alot easier than a Diablo styled one. But it would be interesting to see another non-fps game out there that is open source.
            Last edited by Malikith; 06 November 2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

OSS Games:
              (In no particular order)
              • Battle for Wesnoth.
              • Glest (once this has mod and multiplayer support it will own!)
              • FooBillard (when built from source, it supports more eyecandy)
              • SuperTux
              • SuperTuxKart (hey, I'm also a Mario nostalgic fan )
              • Freedroid RPG
              • PlaneShift
              • Torcs

Commercial
              (In no particular order)
              • Quake Series (all of them, especially 2 [through QDos] & 4)
              • Doom3
              • Neverwinter Nights (I hate BioWare for not enforcing Obsidian to make a Linux port of NWN2)
              • Penumbra: Overture (Actually, a very good game)
              • Cold War (surprisingly a VERY good Adventure game)
              • Unreal Series (I regularly play UT99 and UT2K4, UT2K3 was a joke, though)
              • Rune (of the original Loki ports, just love that game)
              • Shogo (I really liked the Windows version, so I bought the Linux version as soon as I could off Tuxgames, haven't played it in a while, though).

FLOSS Emulators:
              • SCUMM-VM (it has allowed me to play a bunch of oldware games which I missed SO much!)
              • DosBox... What can I say, it allows me to play another lot of old games!
              • Wine (I know, not an emulator, but a compatibility layer, a Windows Enginefor Linux of sorts) has allowed me to play a few Windows games.

I agree with Malikith, we need more RPG (and Adventure) games on Linux. The idea of using one of the GPL'ed Quake engines to create a sort of Open Source Diablo/NWN game is actually very interesting, but a LOT of work to do... And I'm not sure volunteer work would pull something that ambitious, off. Interesting nonetheless, though.

Comment

doom3, quake3, quake4 (no particular order) .

Comment

PlaneShift, Penumbra, Freeciv, Neverwinter Nights
                  in that order

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    I agree with Malikith, we need more RPG (and Adventure) games on Linux. The idea of using one of the GPL'ed Quake engines to create a sort of Open Source Diablo/NWN game is actually very interesting, but a LOT of work to do... And I'm not sure volunteer work would pull something that ambitious, off. Interesting nonetheless, though.
                    Yes, it would require a good coder. Reason why I think one of the Quake engines would be a good candidate is because of the game Hexen II. Which was based off the Quake 1 engine. Or what about that top down hack and slash RPG mod for Quake 1? I think it was this:

Dedicated to helping you learn how to modify your favorite games!

I mean, if thats possible on Quake 1, and that wasn't even modifying the engine itself, I can't imagine what you could do if you messed around with a Quake 3 engine and did something like that, I'm sure you could get something real nice out of it. Of course there would need to be alot of modifications, like character saving, equipment, inventory screens, and mouse driven interface, but it is possible.

Its really too bad they never released the source code to that mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      Heh... I've tossed about ideas like this from time to time. The biggest problem with things is that it's labor intensive as heck, really, to do this sort of thing. It's utterly amazing what they've done with WoP, Tremulous, etc. but it took quite a bit of work to accomplish what's been done with those standalone titles based off the Q3 engine. I know of at least a couple projects that have either never gotten off the ground or got minimally along because the number of people that think it's cool outweigh the number of people that're willing to consider it a job (hobby job, but still a job all the same) to do this sort of thing.

Now, having said this, there's one right now (hopefully going to turn into two) CRPG, a' la Diablo Style, games about to be put into porting as I'm typing this. There may be more than that on the way if Michael Simms has his way in the matter.

Now, if someone wants to take the Q3 engine and do something in the vein of NWN or similar, then I'd be tickled and perhaps even lend a little time to the venture- IF the team looks like it's going to go somewhere with the ideas that come forth from the attempt.

Comment

Working...
                      X