Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, kinda surprised no one mentioned Dwarf Fortress. Used to be closed-source and Windows-only, but is now partially open-source and runs on Linux as well (due to the nature of the game, a ton of Linux-users love it).

The graphics aren't amazing, of course, but it's ironically one of the most cpu-intensive games I've played . In fact, I think if the game had amazing graphics the developer wouldn't have spent as much time on the awesomeness elsewhere. It can be difficult to play, though (and not due to graphics). Ever seen that nifty learning curve image?

Challenge accepted, right?! Just a bit of warning, play this with plenty of spare time .

Comment

• I stick with the classics

xroach, xbill, and Quake 1 with the DarkPlaces engine. I also like KDE's Mahjongg, and gnomine too. I don't like gnome's mahjongg too much. The pieces all look too alike. One Linux game I found I didn't like recently was trying to get my Wi-Fi to work without network-manager. That was no fun at all!

Comment

• I have quite the opposite experience, while NetworkManager tries to keep things interesting by popping up final bosses when you least expect them, they up the difficulty curve greatly and also vary a lot by each other. While one of them may lose quickly to a rpg, another may be completely immune to that.

Comment

• Some of my favorites:
          World Of Goo, mentioned not once in this thread
          Machinarium, maybe the most innovative point and click game I've ever played
          Osmos
          Trine, waiting for 2 now
          That was from Humble Bundles, from natives are
          Prey and a played a little BTRL
          From OSSes:
          SuperTuxKart - lots of fun with 2 players
          Nexuiz and more recently Xonotic

Desperately need some new and interesting triple A game like Prey 2 or the mentioned not once before Rage
          Also waiting for some good racing game like this one:
          A furious and fun arcade racer with a breakneck online mode, appealing graphics and a unique tactical score system.Every race in Ignite is different! The inn...

Hope it is still coming to Linux.

Comment

• for me is Unreal Tournament

Comment

• I know they aren't specifically Linux games. But I'm currently in marathon of all Mass Effect games, all running great under Linux through Wine. Up to the last game at the moment.

Comment

• Only The Best RPG Ever!

Neverwinter Nights the first one of course, it has a native installer and is rather epic especially with the community created mods like citadel (a very hard true to roleplaying mod).

I created a install guide for the diamond edition DVD on 64bit here (32bit and the version from good old games can make use of this guide to with a few differences): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082534

Comment

• I only play Japanese eroges.

Which are, at this point in time, closed and Windows-exclusive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    I only play Japanese eroges.

Which are, at this point in time, closed and Windows-exclusive.
                    Not really, eroges was started at around 1982 and was exclusively made for certain computers ( not american, not windows) and helped to strengthen the market for Japanese computers. many of these can easily be emulated or tricked into thinking they are on a windows platform with the right know how due to the fact that in their beginnings the system requirements and graphics requirements were at the time considerably lower than american systems were.

I can even play current games made exclusively for windows on my system.

In short I think you are just trolling and really don't understand what the Linux platforms are capable of. There is a reason almost all government super computers use linux, and a very big reason that once more games are ported over, almost all "serious" gamers will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanquishedangel View Post
                      many of these can easily be emulated or tricked into thinking they are on a windows platform with the right know how due to the fact that in their beginnings the system requirements and graphics requirements were at the time considerably lower than american systems were.
                      Japanese PC games has never been about hardware requirements.

It's always been about the draconian DRM and if you take it to a wine dev they just go "NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!" if you try to get them to implement DRM in wine.

Same thing was true for Netflix for many, many years and there were a *LOT* more people that wanted Netflix running on Linux, much more than Japanese PC games.. Only recently has it made it to Linux, DRM and all.. Japanese PC games have got hundreds of different flavors of homebrew DRM which the WINE devs won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

The unhacked off-the-shelf version of Canvas 2 from 2004 still doesn't work on Wine and I really don't have much faith it ever will because the WINE devs certainly aren't lining up to help implement DRM in wine. Any attempts by people to get help with a lot of Japanese games ends up getting completely ignored by Wine devs. The best thing to do is to just run Windows in VirtualBox and the games still run fine because they really aren't demanding at all.... except maybe MMD which probably should be done with dual-boot..

Let me assure you, there is no way to "trick" these games to run on Linux because they go looking for the DRM support and WINE starts returning screenfuls of "FIXMEs" which the WINE devs don't care much to fix since it's all DRM and then the game just crashes.

The Wine Devs have always got "more important things to do" than try to fix some crazy homebrew DRM they've never seen before, on a niche game.

Originally posted by Vanquishedangel View Post
                      ]
                      In short I think you are just trolling and really don't understand what the Linux platforms are capable of. There is a reason almost all government super computers use linux, and a very big reason that once more games are ported over, almost all "serious" gamers will convert.
                      I think you might be severely underestimating the amount of batshit crazy DRM on Japanese PC games.. Sometimes it's hard to get the game to run on WINDOWS, let alone on Linux. I remember back when C&C Red Alert was launched and the DRM in that game would try to do something with the disk sectors, but it would cause the game to crash during install if your hard disk wasn't defragged recently.. DRM so crazy, it sometimes breaks the software crazy, and a lot of Japanese PC games fall into the category as well.. Evidently, it's not something the Wine devs love to try and fix.

I hope now you understand why he said "closed and windows exclusive" because for the most part, they are and will continue to be.. Has nothing to do with underestimating the capability of the linux platform, or hardware.. It's entirely a software problem.

On the bright side, it seems that some Japanese PC games are now coming to steam... Recettear for example is available on steam and retains it's original Japanese voiceovers, but with English subs. http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/
                      Last edited by Sidicas; 30 November 2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X