Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 2630QM

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 2630QM

If you are in the market for a new notebook with an Intel Sandy Bridge processor, one of the higher-end offerings is the Core i7 2630QM, which is a quad-core processor with Hyper Threading that boasts a 2.0GHz base frequency but can ramp up to 2.9GHz thanks to Turbo Boost. In this article are some Linux benchmarks of the Intel Core i7 2630QM compared to other mobile Intel CPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have this processor on my Envy 14 2002ea laptop and it flies!

Michael does the laptop you've reviewed work with switcheroo? Also is AES enabled in the BIOS?

Comment

I have a laptop Core i7-2820QM, which runs Gentoo. It compiles software quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
        I have a laptop Core i7-2820QM, which runs Gentoo. It compiles software quickly.
        So quickly I've started adding -j 9 to all my emerges

Comment

I am a but curious that nothing was mentioned about the temperature . This thing runs pretty hot. I have this CPU on a Asus G53SW and when I compile stuff on Gentoo like kernel, it easily reaches 80C, sometimes nearing 90s, even on this big chassis machine.

Of course, it is a very fast CPU. I mostly use "make -j4" -- I am still not very sold on the hyper-threading thing, besides I don't want my machine to run too hot, and leave some CPU left for doing other tasks while compiling too. Also, as I remember, the difference between "make -j4" and "make -j8" while running a "emerge -e world" was 13 hours versus 12 hours (using "genlop -p"), so probably just an hour here or there -- perhaps many ebuilds force single thread.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
            I am a but curious that nothing was mentioned about the temperature . This thing runs pretty hot. I have this CPU on a Asus G53SW and when I compile stuff on Gentoo like kernel, it easily reaches 80C, sometimes nearing 90s, even on this big chassis machine.

Of course, it is a very fast CPU. I mostly use "make -j4" -- I am still not very sold on the hyper-threading thing, besides I don't want my machine to run too hot, and leave some CPU left for doing other tasks while compiling too. Also, as I remember, the difference between "make -j4" and "make -j8" while running a "emerge -e world" was 13 hours versus 12 hours (using "genlop -p"), so probably just an hour here or there -- perhaps many ebuilds force single thread.
            I found the oposite it's the coolest running laptop I've ever had. Do you have the correct power management options switched on in the kernel?

I use make -j9 in my make.conf and -j 10 when I emerge the -j10 on an emerge will run 10 parallel jobs (if possible) which is great for virtual packages

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I found the oposite it's the coolest running laptop I've ever had. Do you have the correct power management options switched on in the kernel?

I use make -j9 in my make.conf and -j 10 when I emerge the -j10 on an emerge will run 10 parallel jobs (if possible) which is great for virtual packages
              I am pretty sure of the power management stuff in kernel (see http://hirakendu.mooo.com/helium-sou...ken-out/config for example). Besides, the idle temperature is usually in 30s or 40s (and runs at the usual 800MHz) and for moderate load, it is usually below 55C. I would also say that temperatures of 70s and 80s during compiling are not very surprising, at least for the desktop counterparts of these CPUs, and I believe the thermal threshold for throttling for this CPU is 90C, although I haven't seen it go there any time. (100C is the limit of desktop CPUs and I did see my Core i5 750 desktop (overclocked to 3.5GHz) reach that point and throttle down automatically.)

I think part of the reason for the high temperatures are also the materials of this notebook (lesser metal, possibly even the rubberized palm rests) even though I believe it does have a big copper heat sink and overall a big well ventilated chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
                I am pretty sure of the power management stuff in kernel (see http://hirakendu.mooo.com/helium-sou...ken-out/config for example). Besides, the idle temperature is usually in 30s or 40s (and runs at the usual 800MHz) and for moderate load, it is usually below 55C. I would also say that temperatures of 70s and 80s during compiling are not very surprising, at least for the desktop counterparts of these CPUs, and I believe the thermal threshold for throttling for this CPU is 90C, although I haven't seen it go there any time. (100C is the limit of desktop CPUs and I did see my Core i5 750 desktop (overclocked to 3.5GHz) reach that point and throttle down automatically.)

I think part of the reason for the high temperatures are also the materials of this notebook (lesser metal, possibly even the rubberized palm rests) even though I believe it does have a big copper heat sink and overall a big well ventilated chassis.
                You have quite a lot set to y and m for a gentoo user. I'll look up what config option it is and confirm if you have it or not when I get home

Feel free to prod me on mike at fireburn dot co dot uk if I haven't replied within a few hours

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  You have quite a lot set to y and m for a gentoo user. I'll look up what config option it is and confirm if you have it or not when I get home

Feel free to prod me on mike at fireburn dot co dot uk if I haven't replied within a few hours
                  That is correct, and the reason being it is meant to be a bit generic and run on quite a few different machines. In general, I compile Gentoo on my desktop (not the best idea to do long compiles on a notebook), make images and transfer them to other machines.

Frankly, while I am currently in one of those times that I don't tinker with my system and want to keep it running that way (since it is a perfectly fine system to my liking and also busy with work), useful suggestions are always welcome - I would also suggest not to spend much of your precious time on my config .

Comment

I cannot confirm the temperature problem on my Clevo Laptop. It's used as a desktop replacement so does all the tough stuff. With make -j9 it isn't even used 100% probably you could adjust your portage niceness?

At the moment it is ripping a movie:
                    Code:
                      Current Frequency 3285.38 MHz [99.74 x 32.94] (Max of below)
                            Core [core-id]  :Actual Freq (Mult.)      C0%   Halt(C1)%  C3 %   C6 %   C7 %  Temp
                            Core 1 [0]:       3221.02 (32.29x)      6.69    29.9    9.57    1.45    49.7    54
                            Core 2 [1]:       3132.71 (31.41x)       1.2    7.43    3.87       1    86.1    52
                            Core 3 [2]:       3285.38 (32.94x)      98.9       0       0       0       0    65
                            Core 4 [3]:       3155.20 (31.63x)      1.18    3.92    3.13       0    91.3    54
                    So it barely goes beyond 60 degrees.

//edit: that was measured with i7z...
                    Last edited by disi; 17 October 2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X