battery-power-usage failed to properly run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery-power-usage failed to properly run

I am a new user and am trying to run PTS under a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 32bit. I downloaded the .deb and installed. I then ran:

Code:
    phoronix-test-suite install battery-power-usage
    First, this install failed because it seems the location for the mplayer download has changed (is now located at http://www.splitted-desktop.com/stat...2-FULL.tar.bz2). I was able to update .phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/pts/mplayer-base-1.1.0/downloads.xml correctly so that mplayer installed.

After getting that to work, it seems it installed correctly.

Then, running

Code:
    phoronix-text-suite run battery-power-usage
    seems to "mostly function". It prompts for name, description, etc. then indicates the test has started. It does the 1 minute idle screen on, 1 minute idle screen off, then the short video clip. However, as the video clip ends, I get the following info:

The test did not produce a result.
    The following tests failed to properly run: pts/battery-power-usage-1.0.0

I also saw mention of the following command from some of Michael's earlier posts:

Code:
    MONITOR=all phoronix-text-suite run battery-power-usage
    I tried it and got the following message after the video clip:

The following tests failed to properly run: System Temperature Monitor

At least this one gives me an option to view the result graphs. However, the last graph is the System Temperature Monitor. The "ALL IMPORTANT" System Power Consumption graph isn't there. Any advice on finding any log entries that may point to any errors would be greatly appreciated! I "Think" I am executing the tests correctly (I am thinking I only want the basic test not the MONITOR=all as I am mainly interested in power consumption).

Thanks for any advice in getting me up to speed on PTS.

Are you running on a notebook battery? What does the phoronix-test-suite system-sensors command output? Do you have any /sys/class/power_supply/*/power_now battery information there?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for your quick reply. Indeed your first (and most obvious) question solved my problem. I had ignorantly assumed that the test was pulling system watts and wasn't able to get a the battery output itself. For testing I had been going with the approach of having a fully topped up battery and then running the test while plugged in to AC. Running the command

Code:
      phoronix-test-suite system-sensors
      with the AC plugged in doesn't show the "System Power Consumption" sensor. When unplugging it is there. So, obviously this the sensor that is needed. Without it available the test could not run.

So, the test is running fine now, and I know more about what sensors are available with and without external power connected!

Thanks again for your help and great test suite!

PS. As noted earlier the download location for mplayer vaapi has changed. I don't know if you personally maintain all the scripts, but that is one little tweak needed.

Comment

Great. Yes I'll update the XML file. The other workaround for the time being aside from modifying the XML file is to download the MPlayer file and just drop it into ~/.phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/ and it will be automatically detected.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X