Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: First Linux Benchmarks Of AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Can anyone else figure out how you're supposed to use this site and compare against other machines? Or even better compare against the earlier gcc results?
    On the left side in the menu there is this list of tests and a "Search Results" textfield. You can click on one of the test and get no proper feedback and then click on the "Compare Results" text that just appeared but has no indication that it is clickable. However, the search field there didn't do anything reasonable for me.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    @Michael

    Please ask amd for an sample of a Gaming Opteron 6204+dualsocket mainboard

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldo...GGUWOF%29.html

    its a special gaming version of the bulldozer cpu..

    4 cores 16mb cache 256bit ram interface per socket.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    @Michael

    Please ask amd for an sample of a Gaming Opteron 6204+dualsocket mainboard

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldo...GGUWOF%29.html

    its a special gaming version of the bulldozer cpu..

    4 cores 16mb cache 256bit ram interface per socket.
    Where do you get the twisted idea that the 6204 is a " gaming version "? Virtually none of it's features that it has over a regular bd applies to gaming.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Where do you get the twisted idea that the 6204 is a " gaming version "? Virtually none of it's features that it has over a regular bd applies to gaming.
    its a gaming version because its a full 16core with 12cores disabled

    its also a version with double L2 cache per core and Double SSE units per core compared with an bulldozer.

    and it does have 4time more L3 cache per core than the normal Bulldozer.,

  5. #75
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    its a gaming version because its a full 16core with 12cores disabled

    its also a version with double L2 cache per core and Double SSE units per core compared with an bulldozer.

    and it does have 4time more L3 cache per core than the normal Bulldozer.,
    Again, nothing about those differences improve gaming. Disabled cores are just basically so they can push up the clock speed for applications that scale better with it (there are a ton of older legacy apps that respond better to raw core speed) while salvaging a CPU that has a bad module. The cache makes little difference if any in gaming as well and this can be seen comparing the Athlon x4's to the phenom x4's. (SSE units are the same as one unit in the 6204 is completely disabled.). There is also the fact that workstation motherboards are poor and expensive choice for gaming boards (and limited in memory speed).
    Last edited by deanjo; 10-18-2011 at 01:08 AM.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Again, nothing about those differences improve gaming. Disabled cores are just basically so they can push up the clock speed for applications that scale better with it (there are a ton of older legacy apps that respond better to raw core speed) while salvaging a CPU that has a bad module. The cache makes little difference if any in gaming as well and this can be seen comparing the Athlon x4's to the phenom x4's. (SSE units are the same as one unit in the 6204 is completely disabled.)
    most of the games are lagacy apps that respond better to raw core speed.
    also the 256bit ram interface speed up lagacy apps as well
    and doubling the cpu cache brings another 5% speed to Lagacy apps!

    and you are wrong about the SSE units because in an normal Opteron the core 0 can use the SSE units of core 1 if the AVX 256bit code is used.
    in the same way the full 256bit SSE unit is used in this cpu with the difference that the core1 is always disabled for the for the beneficial of the core 0!
    also the L2 cache of core 1 is used by core 0!

  7. #77
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    most of the games are lagacy apps that respond better to raw core speed.
    also the 256bit ram interface speed up lagacy apps as well
    and doubling the cpu cache brings another 5% speed to Lagacy apps!

    and you are wrong about the SSE units because in an normal Opteron the core 0 can use the SSE units of core 1 if the AVX 256bit code is used.
    in the same way the full 256bit SSE unit is used in this cpu with the difference that the core1 is always disabled for the for the beneficial of the core 0!
    also the L2 cache of core 1 is used by core 0!
    Lol OK, you just keep thinking that, meanwhile pretty much everyone will run circles around your "gaming" opteron and have more cash in their pocket.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Lol OK, you just keep thinking that, meanwhile pretty much everyone will run circles around your "gaming" opteron and have more cash in their pocket.
    Do we talk about Religion ? Is the Tropic about the question is there a god or is there no god?

    Do we talk about Money? do i claim this is a poor man CPU?

    Really you do not Realize that a normal 16 core opteron with low MHZ do not male sense for games at all. Also you don't Realize that the normal Desktop Bulldozer 8core cpu makes no Sense for games compared to an Intel 2600K.

    You are Really blind at all. The Opteron 6204 is the Only Bulldozer Gaming CPU AMD do have if you compare it to an intel 2600K the only downside is: the high price and the lag of Integer speed. '

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Opteron 6204=AMD 4x4 Quat Father 2.0

  10. #80
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Opteron 6204=AMD 4x4 Quat Father 2.0
    And we know how the first amd 4x4 did, especially in gaming. But I did love the 12 Sata ports on that board.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •