Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Linux Benchmarks Of AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by mcirsta View Post
    You're not the only one. I wanted to compare a few CPUs and see how fast they compile. I was not really able to find how to do this. Michael you should really work on that guy a bit IMO.
    I have many improvements planned, but unfortunately only so much time in a day to work on OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix, my other business activities, etc. Though some user-facing improvements are imminent - thanks to the ad serving problems still happening through the weekend, most of my weekend will likely be OpenBenchmarking.org work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    read my analyses amd do not have any chance to do it in another way.

intel beat amd on the Instruction set war all the time.

amd only can compete on integer calculations.
    What you say has some basis, the compilers can be optimized to favor Intel, at least on Windows. On Linux though gcc is open source, no one stops AMD from contributing. Also being beaten by your old CPU in some benchmarks while having 110% more transistors is unforgivable. This is not Intel or the compilers, you're losing to your own older generation.

What you say has some basis, the compilers can be optimized to favor Intel, at least on Windows. On Linux though gcc is open source, no one stops AMD from contributing. Also being beaten by your old CPU in some benchmarks while having 110% more transistors is unforgivable. This is not Intel or the compilers, you're losing to your own older generation.
    you don't get it microsoft is 97% of the market share on desktop and linux is only 1% but the GCC is almost used on linux.
    and amd already spend more than 1% of the money they earning on the GCC/linux side.
    intel just put 10000times more money on there intel compiler and they software support to windows devs to use there intel way to go stuff.

the bulldozer need a kernel scheduler patch this improve the speed for 10% and a kernel caching patch this improves the speed for 3% and so one and so one.

the software part of the bulldozer is just not yet ready.

At least bulldozer seems to fare better against thuban in linux than windows
    maybe that's one of the few good things ...

Maybe fx means For linuX

Maybe ekopath will help BD reach level 2

As for the mean things towards Phoronix I really don't get them.
    You can see them as mean, or you can see them as things that could be improved (at least in my case it is out of frustration that Phoronix is the only Linux review site, but it could be so much better). See it that way: The people who complain are still reading the site, and care enough to complain. But I think that improving especially the writing style would attract more readers, and make those more likely to suffer through ads or to get a premium account. As it is, Phoronix is Michael's blog about Linux and benchmarking and 3D and Steam and beer and lederhosen and scheiße.

For example, in this entry we have only links to openbenchmarking (not much information about the results themselves), grumbling about not getting free stuff, and the last two paragraphs totally unrelated (about ads and scheiße and twits and Postal and Valve). How is this anything else than a blog post? Why would a substantial amount of readers want to pay for that (either explicitly by joining, or by being annoyed by ads)?

How about separating the "personality" with beer and scheiße etc. into a personal blog category, and reserve the article category for substantiated things (*cough*Steam*cough*)? In this case, have an article showing the Bulldozer results, and a related blog entry about the random thoughts that occured while writing it (the blog entry can even link to the article, but not the other way around).

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    and beer and lederhosen and scheiße.
    [...]
    How about separating the "personality" with beer and scheiße etc. into a personal blog category, and reserve the article category for substantiated things (*cough*Steam*cough*)?
    stop this there is no substantiated things without personality.

you are a brain-death zombie or a android if you don't have personality in your work.

you are a brain-death zombie or a android if you don't have personality in your work.
    You are unprofessional if you put too much personality into your work. Have a look at the occasionally-mentioned lwn.net, usually you can spot different writers by their style, but they don't have scheiße in their articles (and if you're offended by me mentioning the word scheiße that often, why not at Michael as well?). To quote from Mediawriting: print, broadcast, and public relations: "[...] the media writer instead writes without a conspicuous personality" (note that it doesn't say "no personality").

you don't get it microsoft is 97% of the market share on desktop and linux is only 1% but the GCC is almost used on linux.
    and amd already spend more than 1% of the money they earning on the GCC/linux side.
    intel just put 10000times more money on there intel compiler and they software support to windows devs to use there intel way to go stuff.

the bulldozer need a kernel scheduler patch this improve the speed for 10% and a kernel caching patch this improves the speed for 3% and so one and so one.

the software part of the bulldozer is just not yet ready.
    That may be so but I would be glad to see Bulldozer perform well under Linux and gcc, I don't really care that much about Windows. You say it needs improvements in the kernel, well who exactly stopped AMD from pushing this 1 year ago when they had their first Bulldozer samples ready, could test and all of that. That's how you do things, not wait till it's out, then say, oh but it will work better with these.
    The CPU is just not that good and I doubt performance will improve more than 5% even with all the patches and stuff which should have been in the kernel for quite some time now if they were professional about it. I love AMD but they screwed up big time with Bulldozer.