Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Linux Benchmarks Of AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer

Phoronix: First Linux Benchmarks Of AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer

Here's the first Linux benchmarks of AMD's FX-Series Bulldozer desktop CPUs that launched on Tuesday. Specifically, it's Gentoo Linux performance results for an AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2 days ago, pcinpact.com (a French IT news site) release a preliminary benchmarks under Linux using PTS:

It only compare FX8150 vs X6 1100T.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      To much dismay, it doesn't look like AMD will be sending out any review/engineering samples of any Bulldozer processors to Phoronix. Evidently they don't care too much about Linux coverage for this less-than-stellar product launch. Schei?e!
      Maybe they don't send out test samples to blogs.

Comment

The great revolution that AMD has been talking about for so long has finally happened! Today we managed to meet an eight-core desktop processor based on the long-anticipated Bulldozer microarchitecture.

bulldozer appears to be a major failure.

it only wins in tasks that can be heavily multithreaded, and it's not very power effective.

FX processors based on Bulldozer microarchitecture managed to show their strengths only in a small variety of common user tasks. There are very few popular applications, which would generate simple multi-threaded integer load and this is the only case when Bulldozer really performs at its best. As a result, in certain applications the new Bulldozer is not just slower than competitors from Intel, but is even slower than the previous-generation Phenom II X6. And it means that AMD didn?t succeed in launching a revolutionary desktop CPU.

In fact, FX is just another Phenom, which looks pretty good especially compared with the predecessors. Overall, FX processors are faster than Phenom II, they overclock much better and consume slightly less power, so they will be a good replacement for the CPUs on old K10 microarchitecture.

Comment

Evidently they don't care too much about Linux coverage for this less-than-stellar product launch
          I guess they just care about professional reviews, instead of somebody who just throws out one "news"-entry after another without any content, just to drive add revenue.

Schei?e!
          I am glad you know how to swear in german.

Comment

I will probably never get how to use the openbenchmarking website.
            So I see those test results:
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

But how can I view those results side-by-side with other CPUs and configurations?

Also, gentoo seems to still be on gcc 4.5. I'd like to see another comparison with gcc 4.6 (with "-Ofast -march=native" on both configurations!) as well as maybe Open64 (and for the sake of comparing: path64).

Final question:
            This patch for bulldozer in the kernel, that linus was upset about in the beginning: is it in 3.0? 3.1?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              I will probably never get how to use the openbenchmarking website.
              So I see those test results:
              OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

But how can I view those results side-by-side with other CPUs and configurations?

Also, gentoo seems to still be on gcc 4.5. I'd like to see another comparison with gcc 4.6 (with "-Ofast -march=native" on both configurations!) as well as maybe Open64 (and for the sake of comparing: path64).

Final question:
              This patch for bulldozer in the kernel, that linus was upset about in the beginning: is it in 3.0? 3.1?
              You're not the only one. I wanted to compare a few CPUs and see how fast they compile. I was not really able to find how to do this. Michael you should really work on that guy a bit IMO.

As for the mean things towards Phoronix I really don't get them. I like the news here and yes the reviews I have seem could have been a bit better but this probably is just one of the few review sites for Linux. The only one that does Linux reviews in English that I know of in fact. So yeah AMD could have sent a Bulldozer. Anyway it's not like I care. I'm still going to support AMD because left alone Intel mean big trouble, already their prices are way off the scale, if they get to dominate even more ... it won't be good.
              I don't feel Bulldozer is worth buying right now. One of the old Phenoms yes, they have very good prices and perform decently.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                You're not the only one. I wanted to compare a few CPUs and see how fast they compile. I was not really able to find how to do this. Michael you should really work on that guy a bit IMO.
                I have many improvements planned, but unfortunately only so much time in a day to work on OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix, my other business activities, etc. Though some user-facing improvements are imminent - thanks to the ad serving problems still happening through the weekend, most of my weekend will likely be OpenBenchmarking.org work now.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  read my analyses amd do not have any chance to do it in another way.

intel beat amd on the Instruction set war all the time.

amd only can compete on integer calculations.
                  What you say has some basis, the compilers can be optimized to favor Intel, at least on Windows. On Linux though gcc is open source, no one stops AMD from contributing. Also being beaten by your old CPU in some benchmarks while having 110% more transistors is unforgivable. This is not Intel or the compilers, you're losing to your own older generation.

Comment

At least bulldozer seems to fare better against thuban in linux than windows
                    maybe that's one of the few good things ...

Comment

Working...
                    X