Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Opens Up, UDS Is Coming Soon

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Opens Up, UDS Is Coming Soon

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (codenamed Precise Pangolin) is now open for development just one day after the release of Ubuntu 11.10. The Ubuntu Developer Summit for this next major Ubuntu release is also coming up in just over two weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they get sound improved for syncing audio with film, in transcoders/editors.

Comment

Audio, Wireless, and Traditional Home user experiences

I would like to see some strides towards better support of HD Audio and Wireless....as the world is increasingly moving away from desktops with wired connections (myself included just moved to wireless on my desktop due to wiring constraints in my downtown apartment) and yet I am stuck using windows due to the poor wireless support for the wireless cards I have. Granted I could go out and buy a "compatible" one but most under perform. The audio system is awful too, I used to be able to use 10.04 and choose to optical out and microphone in, now I have "stereo out" and "mic in" even though it plays via optical the sound quality is in no way comparable. Finally, Blu-ray, I know only Windows supports this for now (not OS X yet...) but if we want major adoption this needs to be there for "home users" and us professionals who like linux (maybe use it at work), but can't get over the lack of "traditional" "home user" features that we come to expect out of an OS. Maybe this is just me but as a developer I enjoy watching a movie on one monitor and coding on the other 2 at the same time. (don't get me started on the triple monitor support, ATI is trying but drivers no where as mature as the windows counter parts). Anyway just my 2 cents.

I do however like the evolution of the UI, Unity while still being worked on and the drastic change to Windows (Windows 8 tiles) are a good direction, we need some alternate thinking out there in real world models with all types of users to continue designing new UI's. I personally cannot image using Windows XP without the task bar icon pins (but if I had to go back it would take a week to re-learn) thats why we need new interfaces we can always go back to what was before.

Comment

Well, we've been able to read & burn blu-ray discs for 2-3 years now. Oh you meant movies.

Comment

Well, lack of blu-ray support does give me a valid excuse to continue downloading BDrips

/me loves MKVs and my 2TB WD Elements Desktop, hates optical media.

Comment

Working...
          X