Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabayon 7 vs. Ubuntu 11.10 Performance

Phoronix: Sabayon 7 vs. Ubuntu 11.10 Performance

The release of Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" this week captured most of the Linux spotlight, but also arriving this week was Sabayon 7, the Gentoo-based Linux distribution that's meant to be easy-to-use and desktop-oriented. In this article Sabayon 7 has been pitted against Ubuntu 11.10 with its stock Linux 3.0 kernel and its new experimental Fusion kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Archlinx

Hi,

Thanks for the benchmark, how about benchmarking Archlinux against ubuntu ?

Thanks ! :-)

Comment

just tried Sabayon 7 for the first time, it feels snappier than ubuntu, BUT: I have an ati 4770, and after a while the KDE desktop started to fail ( all black , however is the first time I used kde, so It may be a driver/kde problem), also I use dual monitors, and couldn't make it work as 2 separated desktops (only mirror mode), couldn't find the software manager, and I'm not sure how to install old software (I need pylons 1.0 and SQLalchmey 0.5.3) It looks nice overall, but I'll pass.

Comment

What does Ubuntu 11.04 having the GCC 4.5 compiler even mean?

I do not understand what this means in the context of a binary distribution where nothing is ever compiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          What does Ubuntu 11.04 having the GCC 4.5 compiler even mean?

I do not understand what this means in the context of a binary distribution where nothing is ever compiled.
          It had to be compiled sometime. Just because the distro maintainers do it, doesn't mean it wasn't compiled. I would expect that the distro was compiled with the GCC version they ship with it, so 11.04 would have been compiled with GCC 4.5.

Comment

There is nothing "gentoo" in sabayon, actually.
            Because Ubuntu and Sabayon, being BOTH binary had different number of testings(as in "popularity") and with backup by commercial company, no wonder Ubuntu kernel version won.

Thanks for benchies, though!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              There is nothing "gentoo" in sabayon, actually.
              What are you talking about? Sabayon can use Gentoo's Portage system if the user chooses to.

Comment

Sabayon is to Gentoo like Ubuntu is to Debian

Simile that thing

Comment

What's the point of assessing the Performance of Desktop distros

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I am along time GNU/Linux user.

As per my understanding, both ubuntu and sabayon are desktop distros. A desktop user would be less interested and less affected by the write speeds, or even scores of cpu benchmarks (of course, unless the distro has done something seriously wrong). Here, it would be useful to compare the distros on basis of their usability, stablity etc.

IMO comparisions like these don't accomplish anything fruitful.

The benchmarks would be relevant to server or the HPC audience.

Comment

Originally posted by openfreak View Post
                    As per my understanding, both ubuntu and sabayon are desktop distros. A desktop user would be less interested and less affected by the write speeds, or even scores of cpu benchmarks (of course, unless the distro has done something seriously wrong). Here, it would be useful to compare the distros on basis of their usability, stablity etc.

IMO comparisions like these don't accomplish anything fruitful.

The benchmarks would be relevant to server or the HPC audience.
                    I respectfully disagree. A "desktop" user is not limited to web surfing, mp3 playing etc. I am a desktop user and write speeds and cpu benchmarks are important to my tasks such as encoding, media editing, dbase management and development, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X