Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveats In The Ubuntu 11.10 Graphics Stack

Phoronix: Caveats In The Ubuntu 11.10 Graphics Stack

While there are many improvements to the graphics drivers in Ubuntu 11.10 and its shipping with the latest stable driver components, there are a few caveats to point out that I've come across during last minute tests this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL

"... the self-generating FUC support for Nouveau."

I've always considered Nouveau the most FUC'd thing in recent Linux kernels, and now I know it is true!

Comment

Just a note for anyone thinking of using xorg-edgers, doing so will mean you can't use Unity 3D, because xorg-edgers doesnt package the gesture/multitouch (utouch) in their x server package, because it's ubuntu specific.
      We are staging xserver 1.11 for ubuntu 12.04 in xorg-edgers and don't currently have gesture/multitouch support in X, which means utouch does not work. Compiz segfaults when starting unity 100% of the time in this setup (see bt-full.txt attachment). According to Chase Douglas, geis_init returns NULL like it should because there is no utouch instance, but unity is not checking this situation. The multitouch/gesture stack is specific to Ubuntu for now, meaning this same situation will be hit b...

Comment

The included Catalyst 11.8 driver in Ubuntu 11.10 runs great with my Radeon HD 6870.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          The included Catalyst 11.8 driver in Ubuntu 11.10 runs great with my Radeon HD 6870.
          That's good to know. I've got a 6850, and I'm in the middle of upgrading right now. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to up/downgrade the driver myself in order to get work done tomorrow

Comment

The post release driver won't install for me. It errors. The release driver does install, but causes corruptions in gnome shell and severely decreased 2D performance under unity and gnome shell. The default drivers have worked best for me so far. The stupid thing is though, that uninstalling the proprietary drivers won't return you to the default drivers, but some kind of minimal VESA driver. When you've uninstalled the proprietary driver you can only use the fallbacks for unity and gnome shell :S Had to reinstall ubuntu to get shit fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Lynden View Post
              Just a note for anyone thinking of using xorg-edgers, doing so will mean you can't use Unity 3D, because xorg-edgers doesnt package the gesture/multitouch (utouch) in their x server package, because it's ubuntu specific.
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/860707
              My PPA provides updates to graphics drivers without touching x server so it can be safely used without that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusklaas View Post
                The post release driver won't install for me. It errors.
                Same here, but the release driver installed OK after the post-release driver install failed. ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusklaas View Post
                  The stupid thing is though, that uninstalling the proprietary drivers won't return you to the default drivers, but some kind of minimal VESA driver. When you've uninstalled the proprietary driver you can only use the fallbacks for unity and gnome shell :S Had to reinstall ubuntu to get shit fixed
                  Catalyst messes up the default drivers. You can reinstall some components to get it working again.

Comment

Working...
                  X