Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" Enters The Wild

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" Enters The Wild

Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" has been officially released this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a nice change, they normally do released on the very last day of the month

They must have decided that that's cutting it fine with their naming standard

Comment

Nice, I'm looking forward to try this on my Llano HP Probook 6465b(A6-3410mx), it worked with 11.04, but adding kernel 3.0 completely messed it up, and I don't like the desktop performance, Nexuiz and everythng runs fine, but moving windows seems laggy tbh. Anyway can't wait to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Medallish View Post
        Nice, I'm looking forward to try this on my Llano HP Probook 6465b(A6-3410mx), it worked with 11.04, but adding kernel 3.0 completely messed it up, and I don't like the desktop performance, Nexuiz and everythng runs fine, but moving windows seems laggy tbh. Anyway can't wait to try it.
        The bug where moving windows is laggy (and overall bad desktop performance with AMD Catalyst) will be fixed in one of the next Compiz updates, maybe in 1-2 weeks. You can turn off "sync to Vblank" in compizconfig-settings-manager in the meanwhile. This bug was also present in Ubuntu 11.04.

Comment

Just came home to see a dialog suggesting me to upgrade. As a satisfied user of Gnome 2.32 I can see no reason to accept.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            The bug where moving windows is laggy (and overall bad desktop performance with AMD Catalyst) will be fixed in one of the next Compiz updates, maybe in 1-2 weeks. You can turn off "sync to Vblank" in compizconfig-settings-manager in the meanwhile. This bug was also present in Ubuntu 11.04.
            Sweet, thanks for the tip, I will fix that then, I thought it was something missing in support of the kernel used in 11.04, since Kernel 3.0 officially had support for AMD Fusion. Btw on topic, tried to update 11.04 on my laptop to 11.10, major graphics error, suspect I have to try and fix it through recovery mode.

Comment

Duplicate link description

Apparently the Linkt Pointing to http://www.canonical.com/content/tra...pc-ubuntu-1110 should also have "Transforming the business PC with Ubuntu 11.10"

Comment

I've upgraded my mythbuntu machine and had to do a few things to fix the upgrade-induced breakages:
                1) They've removed lirc-modules-source, and you are now forced to use the kernel-provided modules. This required me to change my lirc.conf module names (lirc_mceusb -> mceusb for me).

2) I had to remap all of my remote control buttons as a result of #1. (~/.lirc/mythv). If you need to do this, use 'irw' to find the new button names to substitute in.

3) Lightdm uses unity-greeter by default which crashes repeatedly on startup. This left me at a console and I had to SSH into the machine to fix it.
                Fix: Add the crowd-greeter PPA and install crowd-greeter as a unity-greeter alternative, edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and changed the greeter name appropriately.

Otherwise, the upgrade was pretty smooth. The machine is running, the TV tuner works (something that the last 3 upgrades had broken on me, requiring custom kernels to fix), and hopefully it'll fix a momentary freeze between programs when watching TV while it's recording.

Machine:
                AMD Phenom II x3 720
                Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit (upgraded from 11.04)
                4GB DDR2
                2x 1.5TB in software RAID1
                Radeon HD 3200 (780G motherboard)

Comment

Slow window movement in Unity3d

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Hm. I'm running on r300g (which is supposed to be more or less on par with Catalyst by now, right?) and the sync to vblank didn't change a thing. Very dissappointing experience, so much so in fact that I had to switch to unity2d.

Hopefully there'll be a fix soon.

Comment

i do not like gnome 3 and its big buttons there should be a button in the launch bar to make gnome 3 turns into gnome 2 .
                    i tested it few minutes with wmvare8 and tried to open the "run windows" using Alt-F2 but it did not opened anything . anyone knows the command ?

Comment

Working...
                    X