Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Improvements Coming Up For Linux 3.2 Kernel

Phoronix: DRM Improvements Coming Up For Linux 3.2 Kernel

The Linux 3.1 kernel should be released any day now after going through nine test releases, which will be followed by the opening of the Linux 3.2 kernel merge window. Here's some of the DRM improvements to look forward to in this next major kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quite some time has passed since last time I saw something interesting regarding radeon drm
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: DRM Improvements Coming Up For Linux 3.2 Kernel

The Linux 3.1 kernel should be released any day now after going through nine test releases, which will be followed by the opening of the Linux 3.2 kernel merge window. Here's some of the DRM improvements to look forward to in this next major kernel release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk5OQ
      What about HDMI audio?

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      We've been through a few rounds of IP review so far, with changes in the proposed release package between reviews, but haven't had a "pass" (ie all the heads nod up and down at the same time) yet. We're going to try again over the next month or so, in the hope of making the 3.2 merge window.
      Now why do I feel like a donkey for buying AMD graphics?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        It would have read better if it was

Now why do I feel like a jackass for buying AMD graphics?

Comment

To be perfectly honest, while hdmi audio would be nice (one less cable is nothing to be sneesed at) if that's all you've got to complain about, then I'd say that the open source AMD guys are doing OK.

Personnally, I'm more interested in what's cooking in mesa (the shader optimiser has got me especially excited).

That said, I'd still appreciate improved pm in radeon, but I'm not stepping up to the plat to do it (no time since I'm starting a buisness), so I'm not moaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
            ).
            That said, I'd still appreciate improved pm in radeon, but I'm not stepping up to the plat to do it (no time since I'm starting a buisness), so I'm not moaning.
            I sure wish someone would step up to the plate on power management, namely dynamic power management. Its really the only thing holding me back from finally leaving catalyst behind for good

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              You don't have to wait until kernel 3.2, the code can be checked out from git and be installed on your system.

And generally, buying hardware because of expected future features is a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
              X