Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 89

Thread: AMD Releases FX-Series Bulldozer Desktop CPUs

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Exactly, because the desktop market doesn't matter anymore performance wise, you aren't going to see much, if any real world difference between a bottom of the line chip and a top of the line chip in any of the things 95% of the people on earth use their comp for. So why waste time targeting the 5% when almost everything in the server market loves increases in cores and parallelism and is far more profitable then that %5 of "high end" desktop users could ever be?
    ..............
    I disagree heartily.... Despite your sentiment there -IS- such a thing as mindshare. It is clear that AMD has lost alot of it. The other important thing is, dont discount 5% when your marketshare is less the 20%

    Point being that every single time that AMD gained mindshare, they also gained marketshare in every single market that they competed in. AMD lost mindshare with Barcelona and look what happened to there marketshare. They gained mindshare with Thuban, and look what happened to there marketshare... Its an unavoidable fact and AMD seems to be completely oblivious to it...

    I believe AMD's single biggest problem is that they are allowing several key marketing guys to make engineering decisions, and then when the engineers cant make it work, they fire the engineers... Its just plain retarded.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,012

    Default It's really obvious this chip was designed for servers

    High core counts, terrible single-threaded performance, huge caches.

    I wouldn't be surprised if removing that 8MB L3 cache ended up speeding up a lot of the desktop benchmarks, just because of it's slow latency getting in the way of everything.

    Looking at some of the benches, it does perform decently for the price in some tests. It's just really bad in others.

    According to AnandTech, this chip was supposed to launch at about 4.5Ghz, and AMD must be having a lot of issues with the 32nm process. Hopefully they can get that figured out soon and speed things up.

    At this point, though, I think i might just go ahead and get an Ivy Bridge when they come out. It doesn't look like Bulldozer necessarily brings much to the desktop even if they do get things ironed out.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 10-13-2011 at 12:17 AM.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    I disagree heartily.... Despite your sentiment there -IS- such a thing as mindshare. It is clear that AMD has lost alot of it. The other important thing is, dont discount 5% when your marketshare is less the 20%

    Point being that every single time that AMD gained mindshare, they also gained marketshare in every single market that they competed in. AMD lost mindshare with Barcelona and look what happened to there marketshare. They gained mindshare with Thuban, and look what happened to there marketshare... Its an unavoidable fact and AMD seems to be completely oblivious to it...

    I believe AMD's single biggest problem is that they are allowing several key marketing guys to make engineering decisions, and then when the engineers cant make it work, they fire the engineers... Its just plain retarded.
    No, iDong waggling by fanbois means nothing but to a handful of morons that don't know how to weigh their options.

    What's an unavoidable fact is the number of idiots that still want a comp with a Pentium in it, let alone how few OEMs offer AMD parts and those that do offer them seem to gimp them in the stupidest ways possible.

    Take the last get AMD mobile parts, the fastest was the Phenom2 X4 X940 Black Edition, that was only available in 1 laptop anywhere in the US and could only be configured with an HD5650m GPU while you could easily get an Intel i7 Mobile X920 Extreme Edition with 2x HD6990m or GTX580M GPUs in Crossfire/SLI in at least a dozen different models of laptop.

    AMD has made huge gains in OSS driver support, yet try finding AMD hardware via Zareason or Syetem76, both companies that specialize in Linux compatible hardware. What little that is offered is in no better shape then the bargain basement(read crap) brands like HP, Dell and Acer.

    How about on the bottom end where AMD is actually winning, you know, with the A, E and Z series APUs, go look for anything based on them in your local big box retailer display shelves. Oh whats that? They have only 1 AMD machine with hardware thats 3 years out of date?

    So what happens? The 95% shop at those places, all they see is Intel hardware, so thats what they buy, it's why Intel has something like 80-90% of the GPU market, it sure as hell isn't because it's a good product at the price point.

    Am I a fanboy? No, I just don't want to give Intel money, they're already far too ubiquitous, if they keep growing you can bet your ass we'll see the return of $4000 CPUs.

    I'd love to support VIA, but I run Linux and they seem to be too retarded to realize their own position and should have merged with Nvidia long ago for the benefit of both companies. Its one of the few times you'll ever hear me support a merger, because I liked what was demoed with the VIA Nano CPU with the Nvidia ION chipset and Nvidia would have had access to their X86 license and stable of ARM devs. Though I still don't like that Nvidia wont release docs to the Nouveau team, I'll take OSS drivers over blobs any day of the week.

    I'd give Xcore86 a try, if they get to at least i686 compatibility and can at least use a PCI GPU. This leaves only one choice, AMD as the only company that sells OSS compatible hardware that doesn't have a near complete monopoly on the market.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    I'd give Xcore86 a try, if they get to at least i686 compatibility and can at least use a PCI GPU. This leaves only one choice, AMD as the only company that sells OSS compatible hardware that doesn't have a near complete monopoly on the market.
    wow i'm really happy about that Xcore86 notebook... it uses a 230V power cable directly pluged in and its selled without a battery (the battery isn't a good idea because its the weakest point of a notebook it always breaks) and it does not have an fan... this makes sure your hardware runs forever!--

    really nice notebook the only downside is only max 1gb ram... and only singlecore cpu and i think the gpu is to smal for everything.

    but the concept is great! please ad another core "dual core-cpu" and please increase ram to 3-4gb ram.

    really i like it! i wish me more notebooks without extra power supply adapter and without fan and without battery...

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    High core counts, terrible single-threaded performance, huge caches.

    I wouldn't be surprised if removing that 8MB L3 cache ended up speeding up a lot of the desktop benchmarks, just because of it's slow latency getting in the way of everything.

    Looking at some of the benches, it does perform decently for the price in some tests. It's just really bad in others.

    According to AnandTech, this chip was supposed to launch at about 4.5Ghz, and AMD must be having a lot of issues with the 32nm process. Hopefully they can get that figured out soon and speed things up.

    At this point, though, I think i might just go ahead and get an Ivy Bridge when they come out. It doesn't look like Bulldozer necessarily brings much to the desktop even if they do get things ironed out.
    Do you even know how CPU cache works? Do you realize that Intel has put as much as 12Mb of cache on their Core series CPUs? The chips are fully capable of that 4.5Ghz, just the same as Intel's, via speed step detecting that you are running a heavy single threaded app and nothing else it will up clock one module to that range. Though you can just put on high end cooling and push as much as 4.9Ghz on really good air or on a self contained liquid kit in a box. Though you can likely do much better with a DIY liquid kit that is overbuilt to the point you never go more then 5c over ambivalent temperatures.

    Intel mobos are still generally more expensive then AMD boards, add to the fact that if your AM3 board has a BIOS update too support these it'll be a drop in upgrade from anything in the Phenom2 line.

    Go google it before repeating canned crap.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    wow i'm really happy about that Xcore86 notebook... it uses a 230V power cable directly pluged in and its selled without a battery (the battery isn't a good idea because its the weakest point of a notebook it always breaks) and it does not have an fan... this makes sure your hardware runs forever!--

    really nice notebook the only downside is only max 1gb ram... and only singlecore cpu and i think the gpu is to smal for everything.

    but the concept is great! please ad another core "dual core-cpu" and please increase ram to 3-4gb ram.

    really i like it! i wish me more notebooks without extra power supply adapter and without fan and without battery...
    Really? Whats it actually capable of? Is the GPU just a simple 2D only chip? If so that sucks since I lost my collection of old DOS games long ago... /me wants to play Duke Nukem, Bad Toys and that knockoff Megaman game again...

    While looking for reviews I read that apparently they are working on an updated version of the SoC for next year.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Xcore86 notebook
    hi what kind of graphic card is in this Xcore86 system ?

    i think the graphic card is the weakest part of this system---

    in my point of view there is only amd because of the graphic card.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Really? Whats it actually capable of? Is the GPU just a simple 2D only chip? If so that sucks since I lost my collection of old DOS games long ago... /me wants to play Duke Nukem, Bad Toys and that knockoff Megaman game again...

    While looking for reviews I read that apparently they are working on an updated version of the SoC for next year.
    sure i think its only a 2D graphic card... i think the 3D functionality is a joke.

    and more i think its VESA only on linux... thats why they use old ubuntu 9.04 stuff.... because on modern linux there are no DRI1 drivers anymore in MESA. +

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    351

  10. #60

    Default

    Looking at the benchmark results, AMD's real plan is obviously to get Intel to raise their i5/i7 prices, so AMD can sell the Phenoms for more again as well, and get a bit more money from those.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •