Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wine Project Was Compromised

Phoronix: The Wine Project Was Compromised

Jeremy White of CodeWeavers has announced that the WineHQ database system, used by Wine for its BugZilla and for its application rating system, was compromised by hacker(s)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This makes you think software projects are under attack and what is there to gain by doing such thing?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      This makes you think software projects are under attack and what is there to gain by doing such thing?
      Treasure trove of login info, since people on average probably use higher quality email accounts when bug reporting.

Comment

I certainly do so (my "real name mail"), but what in the world could drive someone to use the same password on a non related website or a bugtracker that he uses for his mail account.

Comment

Microsoft, was that you?

Comment

I hope Phoronix is secure

Comment

Well, I think it is time for existing security measures to be reassessed. This is beyond ridiculous, its now dangerous. I mean I use phpmyadmin, how can I tell if my own server is safe? I'm gonna have to sit down and study this to figure out how best secure my own data.

Comment

What's going on in the world? Even now there is not such "hacker ethic" that protects and helps improving open-source/free software projects (and its security).

It's disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
                  What's going on in the world? Even now there is not such "hacker ethic" that protects and helps improving open-source/free software projects (and its security).

It's disappointing.

I expect to see a lot more of this in the coming years unless many open source projects start taking security a little more serious. There are just so many projects out there where security is an afterthought and unless a project recruits someone to be the "security hound dog" in their project it will only get worse.

Comment

It would seem that the world of open-source has now become a target. The fact that now THREE KNOWN sites have been compromised within a VERY short time suggests that this is an organized attack against open-source. That means that the source of the attack is probably one of the major CLOSED SOURCE vendors, especially one that feels particularly threatened by open-source -- most likely applesoft, which are under clear and direct threat, and being thoroughly beat. Apple is taking a huge hit against its iTrash by Google, and MS is losing market share to more portable devices like phones and tablets (i.e., an average home user may buy a tablet instead of a desktop/laptop now, and a tablet will have apple or google on it instead of ms).

Comment

Working...
                    X