optimus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optimus?

I understand optimus doesn't work under Linux, so is there any way to turn the feature off and permanently use the better nvidia graphics?

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    I understand optimus doesn't work under Linux, so is there any way to turn the feature off and permanently use the better nvidia graphics?
    Depends if the laptop has a separate hardware path from the discreet GPU and the BIOS supports disabling the integrated graphics. Several Lenovo laptops allow for this for example.

Comment

As i'm looking to buy this one:

But i cannot find if that model uses optimus or not?!

Comment

It does (as indicated in the picture here http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/54...-laptop-review). Now if you can disable it or not that is a crapshoot but I haven't seen any Acers where you can disable it so far.

Comment

I saw that review but it's actually a different higher spec model which is why i was asking as the i5 models no review mentions optimus but the i7 review there mentions it.

Comment

I saw that review but it's actually a different higher spec model which is why i was asking as the i5 models no review mentions optimus but the i7 review there mentions it.
            Pretty sure it would be the same but you could always fire off an email to their tech support to verify.

Comment

The Acer Aspire 5750G is listed at working with Bumblebee so you're not totally without options.

Comment

Any updates on Optimus? If you can disable it, does that result in lower battery life or more power consumption? I guess it would, right?

Man, there are so many of these Nvidia laptops right now.... if you're in the market for a modern day/recent laptop, there are not many choices if trying to avoid Optimus. So many Asus and Samsung, to name another brand, use Nvidia. I guess they have to give an option in the BIOS but then when you try to use or install the Nvidia driver, I suppose you need to edit some files so that there's not a crash.

I was just curious about GT525 and GT540 chips.

I was looking at some laptops w/ Intel HD 3000 but there's not as many choices.

Comment

Ok, just read over this page:

This team is a group of hybrid graphics laptop owners and/or developers interested in getting them to work 100% under Linux. Please join this team if you are new by clicking on the "Join Team" link at the right of the Launchpad page. It's important to have as many users in the community as possible to request for appropriate support, even if you found a non-obvious way to make it work for you. There are different ways to enhance your Hybrid-graphics laptop under Linux which can be split int...

I hope they're making progress.

Comment

The best project to use for Ubuntu is Ironhide:
                    Optimus Support for Linux Through VirtualGL - PPA version also available: https://launchpad.net/~mj-casalogic/+archive/ironhide - MrMEEE/ironhide

For one less ubuntu orientated The Bumblebee Project:
                    Many recent notebooks with a discrete nVidia card in it and an i3/i5/i7 processor use the nVidia Optimus technology to improve battery life. Unfortunately, this software solution is only available in Windows 7 and later. While work is going on in the kernel and drivers to support these notebooks, Bumblebee is a temporary solution allowing you to disable the discrete card if unused and run programs on it if requested. See also http://askubuntu.com/q/36930/6969 There is a lot confusion of wha...

Liam;
                    GamingOnLinux
                    Linux Gaming, SteamOS and Steam Deck gaming. Covering Linux Gaming News, Linux Games, SteamOS, Indie Game Reviews, Steam Play Proton and more.

Comment

Working...
                    X