Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboards With Broken ASPM On Linux

Phoronix: Motherboards With Broken ASPM On Linux

One of the many OpenBenchmarking.org features that haven't yet been fully taken advantage is the opportunities presented by the vast collection of system hardware/software information and logs that have been submitted to this collaborative testing platform from Phoronix Media. OpenBenchmarking.org is much more than just being a storage place for benchmark results. After writing a simple plug-in this morning, here's a list of many motherboards that have broken PCI-E Active State Power Management support from their BIOS, which can lead to greatly increased power consumption under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My exact board isn't there but the Gigabyte P55A-UD3 is. I have the UD6 so it seems likely that I'm affected. Just as well I've been running with pcie_aspm=force for a while.

Comment

My Gigabyte EX58-UD3R is affected too

Running with pcie_aspm=force seems to sort it out, though. (No sign of instability...)

Comment

If your motherboard isn't on the list and you're affected, that means you should be running more benchmarks via the Phoronix Test Suite and opting to submit data to OpenBenchmarking.org
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

" To ensure some quality, each motherboard in the list had at least two unique submissions where ASPM could be detected as not working due to the ACPI table. "

What if they fix it in a BIOS update AFTER people go and make their submissions? The board would still be counted even though it shouldn't? I'd think you should be looking for cases where NO submissions say that the ASPM works on that board. Finding just two different submissions that say it doesn't work really isn't that helpful, IMO as mobo manufs. can claim they fixed it later.

Comment

I know this was written more in a "let's show what pts can do" way, but:
            Toshiba Portable PC
            Sony VAIO
            are too vague.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
              I know this was written more in a "let's show what pts can do" way, but:
              Toshiba Portable PC
              Sony VAIO
              are too vague.
              Unfortunately it's limited to what the motherboard vendor exposes from their BIOS as their vendor and product/model strings...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

My Lenovo W520 (4270cto) is affected. The "pcie_aspm=force" workaround works fine though.

Comment

What factors are you using to indicate that ASPM is broken on a given motherboard?

Comment

Not surprised that there are a crapload of Asus boards on the list given my experience dealing with their bios engineers who despite have all the proof in the world that something is broken won't listen to anyone until the issue becomes an epidemic.

Comment

Working...
                    X